1999 Ram 1500...lots of problems!!

Page 1 of 4
I’m ready to take my hubby’s truck to the dump!! He is currently deployed and I am left to take care of this truck. The ABS light is on, the brake light is on, and now the speedometer is going crazy!!
Can any of you guys/gals give me insight on what may be the problem? Do I need to take it somewhere to have it put on the diagnostic machine? Should I just take it to the dealer and pay them too much money? Ugh...
✖
Well...they're not all going at once...if they did, that would suggest they're all on the same circuit, and failure is happening behind that. So hopefully it's not a faulty computer...
Regardless, electrical issues are pretty tough to deal with. Probably best to take it to your local Dodge dealership.
Add pictures here
✖

Or trade it. I know this sounds cruel but Dodges can be a pill about thess kinds of problems sometimes. Each brand has its quirks and Dodge seems to have more than its fair sure of these kind when they get older sometimes. It will not be cheap to trouble shoot and repair at a dealer so hold on to your checkbook. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
✖
Good Point...I've learned this the hardway.
Add pictures here
✖

You're such a moron. I really hope people are smart enough to not listen to you...
To the OP, there is a speed sensor that goes in the top of the rear differential that when it goes bad it'll cause all three of you problems. Have them change the connector also when they put the sensor in.
Denny
Add pictures here
✖

You do mean not listen to you and your lack of maturity right? Dodges are know for these kinda of problems and unless you have your head in the sand you would know about it. This is not about picking on a Dodge because I point out quirks with GM's and Fords too. Like GM is well known for piston slap issues on modular engines (especail some 5.3's) and intale manifold gasket issues on vortec small block engines (desingn flaw) and Ford using wrong style plugs and torque on 5.4's and 6.8's with aluminum heads that can loosen up and strip and blow out from rattling around and flame cutting. Best way to deal with it is to avoid trouble prone vehicle and model regardless of who makes then rather than pouring more money into them. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
✖

No, I'm pretty sure Denny meant that people should not listen to you and your inane drivel. I would concur with that assessment whole-heartedly.

Agreed... sort of. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they're "known for it", but it is a very common problem. One with a very simple solution, that doesn't necessitate throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

Sure - just like we all point out your quirks, errors, mis-statements, and general lack of knowledge on various subjects. We're building quite a list...

In cases of chronic problems, you may be right. But, in this case, the OP has a bad wheel speed sensor - which she can cure for less than $50. Your advice to trade the vehicle is SO over the top stupid, that I have trouble believing anyone would suggest such.... then I look at the person suggesting it, and it all makes perfect sense.
Add pictures here
✖

Nope. No head in sand problem with me but I do know the OP's problem has been well documented before and there is no need to trade in the truck over a simple speed sensor/connector problem. Just out of curiosity, if it were your truck with the described problem, would you put in a speed sensor/connector or would you trade in the truck??? I would really like an honest answer to this.
This is not about picking on a Dodge

They all have their problem areas. How would you ever drive a vehical of any type that didn't have a problem??
Denny

Add pictures here
✖

You are SUCH a moron.... trade away a truck because a $30 sensor went bad, that takes 5 minutes to change.
Add pictures here
✖
You guys seem to know a LOT more about this stuff than I ever will. Would it be better for me to take it to the dealor or my garage guy? Your guidance is greatly appreciated! I hate to take it somewhere just to get taken to the cleaners because I am a woman.
"Tom Lawrence" wrote: > > Or trade it. I know this sounds cruel but Dodges can be a > pill about > > thess kinds of problems sometimes. > > You are SUCH a moron.... trade away a truck because a $30 > sensor went bad, > that takes 5 minutes to change.
✖

Your garage guy. You can help him out if you pick up the part yourself. Go to your dodge dealer, and tell them you want a rear wheel speed sensor for your truck. If they ask, tell them it's the one that goes in the rear differential. It should be around $35-$40.
Take that to your local mechanic, and ask him to change it for you. He can probably do it right in the parking lot. It's literally a matter of unplugging an electrical connector, removing one bolt, pulling the old sensor out, putting the new one in, tighten the bolt, and plug the connector back in.
Add pictures here
✖
Before you buy one, I'll send you one free as a small thanks to your husband's service to our country. If you live within a one way 12 hour drive of the central coast of California, I'll drive there, with the tools neccesary to install it. I only ask that you let me park in your driveway or on the street for the night. Reply to my email address if I can help snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net. God bless you, and your husband!

Add pictures here
✖
Darned decent of you Ed....
Ed H. wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Ed H. wrote:

Ed that's a wonderful offer. I wish more people would show their appreciation like you do. If the OP is in the DFW area I will fix the truck for her also.
Bob
Add pictures here
✖
"Support or Troops" is more than just a phrase for me. That's why I regularly donate to such organizations as: Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - http://www.nmcrs.org / Army Emergency Relief - http://www.aerhq.org / USO - http://www.uso.org /
And, I've been known to anonymously buy lunch of dinner for soldiers in uniform at a restaurant. It's really cool to see the look of pride on their faces and watch them walk out about 10 feet tall.

Add pictures here
✖

Where do I start? You are such a asshole! There is no other way to say it. It is what it is. You just blow me away! As old as I am, with the tons of people I know and work with, you by far have to be one of, if not the most stupid people I have come across. Not ignorant, friggin stupid!
I suppose for one with such limited knowledge as you have shown in this and other groups/forums trading the truck would be the ONLY thing left for you to do. Surely you'd never be able to fix it.
I've one question, no, it is not about the V10. Really be truthful, are you able to feed yourself? (Shut up Rabbit.)
Hey Rabbit! when you and I get together in a few months maybe we can check out this fool. He's just down the road from ya. Hell, he should be easy to find. There has to be a huge sign in front of his house that says "STUPID LIVES HERE!"

Add pictures here
✖

If there isn't a sign maybe you could put one there.
--
Ken

Add pictures here
✖

bit. Maybe even go out for dinner so I don't have to feed you so much..
Denny

Add pictures here
✖

I'm sure I'll find it, the sign is probably iluminated.

Add pictures here
✖

Now that I ponder this a bit, it comes to me that perhaps after a winter full of him telling you how to plow snow you and he will become real close. Actually you are about neighbors aren't ya? Could be a sequel to "brokeback mountain", perhaps "bent over the snowplow"!! <GBMFG>
Roy
Add pictures here
✖