A/C question

Page 4 of 4
it MIGHT just be low,...............BUT:
without a 'sniffer' leak detector, you are shooting in the dark
take it to a different shop that does AC, and ask them to 'sniff' at the
condensate drain tube
that will answer your question very quickly

I will try to find somebody with this "sniffer" type detector, and tell them what you said. If they say that they found a leak for sure, I would feel much better about them getting in there and changing out the evaporator.
If they don't find a leak, what other possible problems might cause a system to act this way?
I will try to find somebody with this "sniffer" type detector, and tell them what you said. If they say that they found a leak for sure, I would feel much better about them getting in there and changing out the evaporator.
If they don't find a leak, what other possible problems might cause a system to act this way?

if the compressor is cycling on and off, chances are the system is low on refrigerant. honestly i probably wouldnt bother with getting the leak fixed just yet. wal mart sells the quick charge 134a systems for about $8. they also sell a color coded gauge for $9 that will tell you when youre properly charged (points at green). pick up 1 of each, run your system, and add 1 can then check it with your gauge. if its a small leak, that $8 charge might get you by for a couple years. if the leak is very small i wouldnt bother with the expense of fixing it. throw $8 in it every couple years and dont think about it anymore.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com

ALRIGHT!!!
For now... I am finally cool!
Can I really expect this bliss to last? (Probably not)
I added about half a can and the A/C works great.
I guess if I have a leak, it will stop working. I also guess that if the leak is slow enough I will have saved myself about 1500 bucks thanks to you guys and your patience.

let me know where to send the bill. :-)
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com
Surfersabo wrote:

The compressor should be clicking on and off at a rate determined by the ambient temperature. Whats the high side pressure ?
Surfersabo wrote:

its clicking on and off on the low pressure switch.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com
"TranSurgeon" wrote:

The amount of pressure you have in system depends on the tempature of the system but this is not a accurate test always because as long as there is enough freon in the system to keep some liquid under pressure the pressure will be at a constant vs tempature. The real "test" of a charge state is when it is running and tempature and humidity is factored in. It is not cut and dried as some would lead you to believe.
It is all very simple unless you are a simple minded persons.