Built like a Mercedes (?)

Right. That's why body temperature is not 64.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It's *theoretically* infinite, but *practically* finite, because you do not have an infinitely-capacious fuel tank. The problem does not exist.

The US has never used Imperial gallons. Guenter doesn't know what the hell he's babbling about.

Is it easier to grab the next-bigger or next-smaller sized wrench when your choices are 8mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm, etc? Of course.

Does it exercise your brain's "math muscle" to pick the next-bigger or next-smaller sized wrench when your choices are 1/4", 9/32", 5/16",

11/32", 3/8", 13/32", 7/16", 1/2", etc? You bet. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

A very good reason to celebrate not being French. On the other hand, we also don't make headlamps worth crap, so maybe that's what not eating snails costs.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

geez, I know I should quit... BUT. The point 'IS' that calculating in 10's or 100's is easier than .... to use YOUR example .... 65's. I do not know of anywhere where the speed limit is 100mph. Calculating in 100's corresponds simply to moving the decimal place rather than dividing by ... to use your example .... 65. re obtuse .... pot, kettle, black.

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

My experience is that I've got the order memorized to the point that neither one is easier. *Finding* a given combination wrench in their box is a bigger pain than either.... At least my sockets are in order on their rack.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Why not? According to this explanation, the difference between water freezing and body temperature is twice the difference between the brine solution and water freezing points; he's also got twice as many degree marks between water freezing and body temperature as between brine and water freezing. That's linear....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I agree.

Only if you're feebleminded and/or lazy. Half of 65 is 32 (rounded), and half of that's 16. Double 65 is 130, 2-and-a-half times 65 is a little over 160, and three times 65 is a little under 200. I did all that off the top of my head, in real time, while typing over 100wpm. It's not complex.

North America is not the extent of the world. Get out more.

Ah, so you *are* feebleminded and/or lazy.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Only the USA and the UK ( for now ) still use miles AFAIK.

There's no 100 mph limit in the UK.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

because you are not going to fit 3 not related temperature datum on a straight line unless you are 'exceptionally' lucky :-)

cheers

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I stand corrected, I am indeed ..... and it's getting worse with age. enjoy your holiday

cheers

ps, I actually have come across your explanation of the freezing water reference point but I do believe that it's simply folklore. I would seriously doubt that any physicist would approach the problem in that way. Critical would be to have two (which makes for a straight line) data points that are 'reproducible' in a relatively simple way. Additionally I believe Fahrenheit tried his utmost to get away from negative temps for everyday usage, indeed, he tried to make a 'human' temperature scale and for that reason set the zero low end at the ammonia/ice/water mix believing that is about as cold as it ever got anywhere (Danzig/Gdansk that is).

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

see the smiley ? My admittedly feeble attempt at poking fun at the number crunchers :-)

cheers

ps I did not say that it was untrue.... simply ventured 'my' opinion that it is likely to be folklore for reasons I explained elsewhere.

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

And Mozambique. Only the US and the poorest country in the world refuse to go metric.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Again a problem of scale, as in celcius.

PSI is reasonably meaningfull for us when tires are in the 20-50 range. Kilipascals (or whatever) in the 800-900 range (or whatever) is silly as are bars where 1 bar = 17psi (or something).

At 3.3 bars the tires have too much and at 3.15 too litle? WTF?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

...except in expensive restaurants. They're farmed in Florida. Yum.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Aw, you're just saying that cause stouffers doesn't make them. I've seen your freezer.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Or unless you carefully select the concentration of salt in the brine to make it work out right.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

If it makes it easier then just call it 31.5 and 33. No problem see?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Remember what you always say: "Correlation does not equal causation. LOL!

Bill Putney

...which are numbers that sound suspiciously like PSI.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Which is the reason for moving the decimal point and shows that perception of the scales is all in the mind.

Huw

Reply to
Huw