car won't start turn over when cold

I have a 99 Dodge Durango w/ the 5.9L, 99K miles. The car is not garaged.

For a little while we were having a problem with the car not starting. Finally the problem happens all the time. In the morning when we go to start the vehicle you turn the ignition and you hear a click and nothing. No turning of the motor at all.

If I hold the key in the start position you hear a second click in a few seconds. If I do this three or four times the car will eventually turn over and start right up. I am thinking the starter or the starter siliniod or shot. Is a starter hard to change?

I have also wiggled the gear seletor to see if it was the saftey park switch; which it does not appear to be.

What do you folks think?

~Joe

Reply to
google

happening when cold...my first check would be the battery. have it load tested if it doesnt pass the load test then replace it. clean the connections and see what happens. cold weather tends to take a lot out of a battery, if its bad or in questionable condition then the cold weather isnt helping it any.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Thanx. Yes, I did that when the problem first surfaced. Alternator is charging fine and the battery is good. Thank you for the response.

~Joe

Reply to
google

Solenoid is shot. Depending on access, it is not that hard to change. Disconnect the battery ground first.

Charles

Reply to
Charles