Check Engine Light

My 2003 Dakota 3.9 with 38,000 miles Check Engine Light came on yesterday. The code is BBEVAP (could be 88EVAP?) evaporative emission system small leak/no flow condition. Probable cause 1) defective or
loose fuel cap 2) EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected 3) Purge or vent solenoid defective 4) Vacuum leak at engine. As you can tell by the mileage, I don't use the truck much. Typically I'll run a couple of errands two or three Saturdays a month. Where is the evaproative canister? What would you guys recommend checking first? Thanks, Tim
Suddenly, without warning, airplane nut exclaimed (5/10/2009 11:18 AM):

Well, this error can pop up simply because the gas cap wasn't put on right once... so if you can, clear the error and see if it returns.
If it does, gas cap is the easiest to replace, start with that first. Mine turned out to be a vacuum line (I've no idea where), but they also discovered a warped manifold, not sure if that was part of the problem or not.
My truck is a 2001 Dak, 4.7l
jmc
On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:18:24 -0700 (PDT), airplane nut

Have it smoke tested.
Mine happened while on a road trip 1500 miles from home. Thought I did not get fuel cap on correctly at a fuel stop. TMLSS got home, took it to shop, they smoke tested system, and could not find leak. Vehilce sat for two weeks (I was on a business trip), upon using vehicle CEL came on again. Code was "Evap system small leak" so back to the shop it went. Smoke test again, this time the tech found the crack in one of the hoses at the canister. Fourty bucks for a hose and have not had an EVAP system problem since then (BTW no charge for the second smoke test).
Happy Camping. snipped-for-privacy@NOPANTS.juno.com Remove NOPANTS To reply by direct E-Mail;
2003 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi, A/T, Tow Package, 3.92 gears (11 mpg Towing) 2001 Aerolite 21RDB 21ft TT (Scales 2900 dry)
The canister on my 02 Dak 3.9L is under the drivers side of the truck--midway back. I have had the hose there crack twice giving me the same code you have. It was hard to see the crack in the hose without wiggling it around a bit. Hope this helps.

Check for the canister under the drivers seat, I had a cracked hose on mine, the hose is metric, but I found one close enough in size that I could make it work with a couple of hose clamps

seat, follow the hose from the fuel tank.