elec brake controller pigtail?

2004 Ram 1500; Installing an electric brake controller. I got a wiring adapter at u-haul and I found the pigtail under the dash behind the e-brake.
My problem is the blue wire is only putting out 2 volts at the pigtail. It show 0 volts at the brake controller and at the 7 pin connecter at the bumber. Is 2 volts normal or should it be 12v...any suggestions on a fix?
What kind of brake controller do you have? Most of the newer models have automatic settings that vary the voltage/amperage to the amount of braking needed.

e-brake.

Depends on what it's hooked to. Hook up the trailer and them try it. Don't forget the trailer has to be grounded to the truck.
Al
Thanks for the relpies, I fixed the problem. The 7th wire from the bumber was not connected to the e-brake pigtail. Not sure if they come like that from the factory or not, but once I connected the wire, everything works fine.