Wiring Brake Controller

I need to put a brake controller on my '06 2500 (4 wheel drive w/5.9 Cummings). Truck came with hitch and wiring on 7 pin plug (conversion cable drops it to 4 pins for smaller trailers).

Does anyone know how to tell if it's prewired for a brake controller. I have read thru the service manual but can't find anything that states the prewired plug is under the dash. I have also looked under the dash, around the brake pedal, but can't locate any empty plugs.

The actual controller installation looks straight forward, just 4 wires: ground, 12V power, brake light, and output to trailer brakes.

Thanks, Si

ncsak

Look for a empty connector tucked behind the parking brake mechanism. IIRC, it is a blue connector.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

The connector is wired and there. Mine (an 04 2500 HD) also had a jumper harness in the glove box from teh factory. Connector is a BLUE

4-pin (in a row, about 1.25" long), to the left of the steering column, taped (or attached somehow) to the main harness there. Being on top of a bunch of stuff you have to look carefully for it, but I'm sure you will find it. I'm 99.9% certain that all trucks with the towing option (yours, and mine clearly do have it) came with the plug, and I suspect all (larger) trucks had it regardless...

I can take a picture of the jumper (and the controller I used on it) if you'd like.

Reply to
PeterD

Yep, that's it... As I mentioned in the other reply, it is tucked above the harness in my truck so it is a little hard to see, but it should be there.

Reply to
PeterD

Thanks for the help. Found the plug above the parking brake, next to the big connector, behind part of its wiring. I have the harness that goes into that plug.

Again thanks, Si

ncsak wrote:

ncsak