Evaporator core case in 1998 Dodge 2500 (full size) van

This van has front only A/C, and is equipped with the 318 FI engine. There is a leak in the evaporator core, and I have started to try to remove the
case. The info on Alldata and in my Chilton manual suggests that it should be able to remove the case by angling it out the hood opening once all the retainers are removed.
This has not been my experience. I have it loose, but it binds, and I cannot remove it (yet).
If any of you have experience with doing this, I would like to know what you had to do to get it out.
Otherwise, I will just keep removing crap until it gives up.
Thanks in advance

Everyone else who has done this, including the dealer, drops the steering column and removes the dash or just swings it out of the way.

On this van, the evaporator core is under the hood, inside the engine compartment, on the passenger side. The only work you have to do on the dash side is to take out the glove compartment insert to access the case mounting nuts on the studs which go through the firewall to the case.