HELP!!Mod to 2001 1500 Quadcab for towing 22' motorboat

Page 6 of 7

Too bad it isn't you now answer my questions :-)

"TBone" wrote:

it
Tbone I do take exception to the deeper gears killing MPG. A big truck with a small motor and OD needs to rev up a bit to get in its power band and nearer its torque peak because it is at and around torque peak that a engines VE (Volumetric Efficency) is it highest and it is also when it uses the least amount of fuel per HP hour produced. Even with a 4.56 in OD it will turn about 2200 RPM at 65 give or take. Lower RPM does not alway equal better MPG and usually mean bad performance too in a truck. A diesel can do well at low RPM because its Peak VE is at a much lower RPM than a gas engine. I have a 89 4x4 burb with stock 29 inch tires and 3.73 gears which should murder MPG. It consistantly gets 17 to 18 MPG on highway even with A/C on and it has a 40 gallon tank that I run down pretty far before I fill it on a trip so the numbers are not from a top off on a short trip. My 2000 K3500 with a 5.7 and 4.10 gears will do between 16 and 17mpg on hiway with A/C on too and I know it would not be better with taller gears either.

I doubt that since I have 3.55 gears and run around that level at 65.

4.10 is quite a bit different from 4.56 like you suggested for the owner of the quad cab. As has been said in here already, there is no free lunch and if those very low gears would give more power, faster acceleration, and no loss in mileage, then a free lunch is exactly what it would be and they would come that way stock. I would think that the truck comes with these gears to maintain the companies CAFE standards and that they know a little bit more about their vehicles than either you or I do.

"TBone" wrote:

But it is like a 2.40 in OD which is really too tall and puts engine well below its VE range in a big heavy vehical.
But you are only looking at one side of the equation, the acceleration side. The other side of the equation that you need to look at is the cruise side of the equation. When cruising, you simply don't need maximum HP or have the engine in its VE range and gearing for it will do nothing more than require the engine to turn faster than necessary and waste fuel doing it.

"SnoMan" < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
"TBone3" wrote: > But you are only looking at one side of the equation, the > acceleration side. > The other side of the equation that you need to look at is the > cruise side > of the equation. When cruising, you simply don't need maximum > HP or have > the engine in its VE range and gearing for it will do nothing > more than > require the engine to turn faster than necessary and waste > fuel doing it. > > -- > If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for > skydiving > >
> > > "TBone" wrote: > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> >I doubt that since I have 3.55 gears and run around > that level at 65. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > > > > > But it is like a 2.40 in OD which is really too tall and > puts engine > > well below its VE range in a big heavy vehical. > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-HELP-Mod-2001-1500-Quadcab-towing-22-motorboat-ftopict124505.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa1449
But Tbone you missing the point. When a engine it running well below its VE it still takes the same HP to roll truck down the road and the engine has to work harder and make more torque are lower RPM and reduced efficency to make the HP needed to roll truck. Raise the RPM some and engien needs to make less torque to make same HP and is closer to VE to so efficency is better and less fuel is used per HP Hour
"SnoMan" wrote:

And to take it further if your cruise at say 1700 RPM and have a max torque of 70% of peak availible that give you only about 68 HP at flywheel or about 45 to 50 at wheel which is barely enough to cruise and the eninge will be working as higher cylinder pressure in a unefficent stay to try to make it and be using more fuel to make HP than it should (not to mention higher bearing and ring pressure too which can lead to short than optimum life of engine)

Snoman, I can give you a real world example of gear changes. In my '95 1500, it came with 3.55 gears and I usually got about 17-17.5 mpg at approx 65-70 mph. I changed the diffs to 3.92 cause I needed more gear for what I use the truck for. Since the change, my highway mileage has dropped to 14.5-15 mpg running the same speed.
Denny

Hauling his fat ass around. <BFG> A couple of more holiday meals and he will be changing to 4:56's.<GBMFG>
Roy

Talk about not keeping my back covered...... <VBG>
How ya been Roy? You got that new Cummins broke in yet??
Denny

That is too easy so I won't.<G>

Doin' good, thanks. Tons of OT, just waiting for the hot tub to arrive.

Nope, been on the train to work, saves a bunch of money on fuel. Think I have about 7K on it. Vacation the first two weeks of July so it will be used a lot more.
Have a question for ya. Does dc offer a self dimming mirror for the passenger side tow mirror? The damn thing is a pia, at night it is blinding.
The VN Moving Wall is here for a week. It was here about 6 years ago, somthing that should be seen imo. If it is in your area try to see it late at night or early morning, it is a totally different deal then.
Roy

I thought about that but I'd already hit the send button. I just waited for you to take a shot..

Where you headed this year??

I'll check tomorrow but I've never seen one. I'll let you know.

It went thru this area several weeks ago. About 3,000 cycles followed it from Beaverdam thru Bowling Green??. I remember the paper said the line of bikes was 15 miles long behind it.
Denny

Speaking of shot, how have you been doing Carlos?

Don't think we are going too far. Sue is tutoring every morning for the month of July. The tub has to get here then be wired and set up. Have to dig up the driveway and repave it.

Thanks, I know they make them for cars, didn't know about trucks.

Yup, Rolling Thunder, same here last night. I suppose in a couple of years they will have one for this bs bush has us involved in now.
Roy

Back to my normal spot on the list....third from the bottom. The last weekend of July is gonna be fun, a three day fun shoot. The club putting it on said to bring 2000 rounds. Damn!! <VBG>

I took a peek in the accesory book and didn't find a thing. The did have some fashionable sunglasses for ya tho..
Denny

2,000 rounds??? Sounds like a fun afternoon.

Thanks for looking. I gotta find something, high beams from behind are a real pia with this truck.
Roy

"Denny1" wrote:
> > > "SnoMan" wrote: > &nbsp;>>But Tbone you missing the point. When a engine it > running well below > &nbsp;>>its VE it still takes the same HP to roll truck down > the road and the > &nbsp;>>engine has to work harder and make more torque are > lower RPM and > &nbsp;>>reduced efficency to make the HP needed to roll truck. > Raise the RPM > &nbsp;>>some and engien needs to make less torque to make same > HP and is > &nbsp;>>closer to VE to so efficency is better and less fuel > is used per HP > &nbsp;>>Hour > > > > And to take it further if your cruise at say 1700 RPM and > have a max > > torque of 70% of peak availible that give you only about 68 > HP at > > flywheel or about 45 to 50 at wheel which is barely enough > to cruise > > and the eninge will be working as higher cylinder pressure > in a > > unefficent stay to try to make it and be using more fuel to > make HP > > than it should (not to mention higher bearing and ring > pressure too > > which can lead to short than optimum life of engine) > > Snoman, I can give you a real world example of gear changes. > In my '95 1500, > it came with 3.55 gears and I usually got about 17-17.5 mpg at > approx 65-70 > mph. I changed the diffs to 3.92 cause I needed more gear for > what I use the > truck for. Since the change, my highway mileage has dropped to > 14.5-15 mpg > running the same speed. > > Denny
My 2000 Chevy K3500 SRW with a 350 gets 16 to 17mpg on hiway with A/C on and about 13 in town with 4.10 gears and stock tires. My 89 4x4 burb with 3.73s and tiny stock tires gets 18MPG at 65 to 70 mph. My wifes 2000 Cherokee with 4 banger, a 5 speed and 4.10 gears gets 21 to 22 around town and 27 to 29 on highway on the few trips we have taken it on. I drove a 05 1500 silverado loaner with a 5.3 in it a few weeks ago for a few days and it had 3.42 gears and it was a dog on the highway in OD and used about as much gas while I had it as my K3500 did which weighed more. In your case I am guessing you had a 318 or 360 which tends to be more efficent at lower RPMs unlike the 4.7 we are talking about here.
Dude, why is this so hard for you to comprehend? The 3.55 gears are the best ones for normal driving in that truck. If they were not, they wouldn't be there since it costs DC NOTHING to put a different ratio in when it is being built and if they could get both better mileage AND better towing ability for NO COST AT ALL, there is no sane reason not to do it. Your comparisons are invalid since the only DC product you mentioned was a 4 cylinder Jeep and everything else was a GM of some type and with what you are saying, you seem like a lead foot. Denny owns the truck and says that his mileage dropped and he only went to a 3.92, never mind the 4.56 that you are suggesting. I would also like to know where you are getting your rather lame HP ratings from.

"SnoMan" < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
had a 1/2 to dodge pu with no tow package, 2 wheel dr, 6 cyl manual stick.
a ball on the bumper towed my 21 ft ctr concole boat ok...most 20 miles rd trip to a variety of ramps.
had a major prob though.at a bad ramp (slime build on concrete) I was pulling it out and broke traction. boat was straped to trailer. all 4 went back into the river.
boat,trailer,dodge pu and me.
Henry
"Hubmachineatgmail.com" wrote:

If it is a 4.7 or 318 I would rear gear rear axle with 4.56 gears (do not let numbers scare you as OD takes the bit out of it) and it will pull it fine if you also add a aux tranny cooler. If it is a 360 try 4.10 gears with same aux cooler. With eithe rof this setup up above you should be able to tow it anywhere you want with no fear of breakdown and lack of performance. If you leave truck stock and it has tall gears, cooler or not it is just a question of time before it gives up onr hot day, the only unknown is whether it is next week or next year or two years from now.
The only other option is just to replace truck with a more suitably equiped tow vehical too

Are you insane? Re-gear a truck because of a 1-mile tow once a week?
Is it me, or is there an inordinate amount of over-thinking when it comes to towing in this group lately?
It's a 22' boat, not a D9 Cat, fer cryin' out loud... he'll be just fine with whatever he has.