Help, please: no power to 12v outlets

2001 Dakota, 4.7l v8 4x4.

Recently, I replaced the ignition switch...

Last time I'd used my in-truck fridge (and thus a power outlet) was before this replacement.

Noticed today, that all three 12V power outlets are not working. Tried replacing the fuse (#17 I think), didn't work.

What else could be causing these outlets to not work? Everything else on the truck is working fine.

Where should I check to determine what the problem is?

Thanks for any help. No cold sodas for today's trip, alas!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Do you have a battery installed and connected?

:^)

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

They sell stuff called ice at the stores. You put some in a cooler with your soda and it keeps it cold. It makes you so happy that you exclaim "Thank you Jesus" and then he turns it into water.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Suddenly, without warning, beekeep exclaimed (21-Oct-06 5:08 PM):

Thanks for the education. Problem is, where I am it gets up to 40c/104f quite often, and before I can say, "Thank you Jesus", it's turned to warm water. Using a non-powered cooler slows the process down, but not by much.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Carolina Watercraft Works exclaimed (21-Oct-06 10:39 AM):

10,000 comedians out of work, and you and Beekeep are trying to break into the business.

And the answer is: Yes

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Does the cig lighter work?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

:^)

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I think I see where Roy is going....did you try the frig plug in each of the

3 outlets? Try a different item...like the lighter. I've seen some plugs that have a fuse inside the plug....maybe that's it.
Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Let me look in mine.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

YUP! There is. Just unscrew it. Mine has a little brass retainer that unscrews. Careful, 'cause the thing is spring loaded. The fuse is behind the spring.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (21-Oct-06 10:56 PM):

Doesn't appear to be.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (22-Oct-06 1:05 AM):

OOps, no, belay that. Just realized I'd never tested the cig lighter. Ok, if that works, then it's just the two "power" outlets that aren't working (one on dash, one in armrest).

duh! I don't smoke, so sometimes forget there's even an ash tray there.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I agree. Also, I think that those may not be on all the time. If I recall, 1 is always hot, the other 2 switched...or 2 hot and one switched.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Well what's the story ya have them working?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I think he's learning to smoke first. Gotta check to see if the lighter is working. It's a shame he has to get cancer to find out. :^)

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I believe it is "she" not "he". But I could be very well wrong.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Oops. Sorry if that is the case.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Suddenly, without warning, Carolina Watercraft Works exclaimed (22-Oct-06 5:27 AM):

Um. _s_he.

Thanks to Mike S., I got 'em working again. He'd sent me an email offline (had an attachment) to check the second fuse box in the engine compartment. I'd never opened that & didn't know what was in there.

Sure 'nuff, the 20A fuse to the power outlets was blow. Replaced, and all is well.

Some concern as to why it blew, but I'm not particularly worried unless they keep blowing.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Carolina Watercraft Works exclaimed (22-Oct-06 6:03 AM):

Apology accepted. I generally try to stay "gender neutral" on the 'net, but folks here have known me for too long :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Glad it all worked out for you.