shopping for CTD Ram 3500

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD now and I'm looking to get a used 3500 CTD, shooting for maybe a 2002 or 2003. Anything particular in those years to avoid, etc. My '01 has been OK, except for replacing the evaporator coil and a little glitchy on some electrical issues. Thanks, Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Big difference in those years... end of the 24V ISB era, vs. the start of HPCR era. The body style changed in '03, as well. The newer style had a larger available rear passenger area (with the quad cab), but worse aerodynamics.

Not really... the '03s had a couple of minor issues when first introduced (PS hose that would 'buzz' - fixed by changing the hose with a new revision, alternator bracket prone to cracking - again, simple fix, couple of recalls to waterproof the PCM connectors, and replace a tranny cooler line that was prone to cracking). Those were all TSBs or recalls, and were probably addressed by the original owners.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Regarding the 24v ISB versus HPCR: Is the HPCR an improvement, and worth paying extra (factoring out the book value on the model year)?

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

IMO, yes. Stock power is higher, and the engine runs smoother and quieter.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence