K & N Filter --- worth it??

Page 1 of 6
An open question -- Replies invited.
If one wanted to determine how improved breathing would be reflected in their vehicles performance and fuel mileage couldn't it be
determined by simply removing the existing air filter for the time required to use up one tank of gasoline. Then check the mileage, put the existing filter back in or go to the auto parts store and buy a K&N filter.
Old_Timer
Um, is this for real?
Old_Timer wrote:

Maybe we could throw sand down the hole and see how well the oil really works.

Are you suggesting that running with no air filter for the length of time to burn one tank of gas, perhaps only one week, would result in major damage to the engine?
Didn't some automobiles manufactured many years ago come from the factory with no air filter. Perhaps my memory is faulty but I do not remember the Model A Ford as having an air filter.
While I certainly do not recommend that the air filter be permanently or long term left out I do not believe that any significant damage would be suffered by the engine for running a one week period with no air filter especially if the driving for that period was on paved roads and not on dirt trails. As for the oil filters I recall clearly that many years ago an oil filter was an after market add on.
Old_Timer

CLICK!
Like old times...

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:08:23 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com"

and im curious steve, why does this post out of all the ones in the last week or two draw you out? bored? lookin for some one to step on?

Why of all the posts I have made in the past few weeks, did you go for this one? Killfile not working?
Damn if Budd isnt right about some of you...no sense of humor...and you cant tell when someones been around..ya just troll at will..
Now..in all seriousness, if ya dont like it, killfile it and be done. Im not here to make you happy, be your friend, or post a damn thing you like.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:55:26 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com"

whoa. came in here with "both barrells loaded" huh? lol. ok, you are a tuff guy. im scared now.

WTF are you talking about? One, I never left...second, you act like this was the first post I have ever made in here... You always spin this hard when confronted with someone that might prove to be right?
Wait..dont answer that....nothings ever changed with you....of COURSE you do.
Now..put that on the end of your torque wrench and click on it..
(there is a joke there, but I doubt you can tell...mr serious about everything)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:14:45 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com"

oh yeah, i remember that one. anyway, been fun playin with you but its bed time for me.

not worth it.. completely useless, I have one in my truck and if it didnt make the sparkplug chages easier, it would be out of there and the OEM intake back in there.
<Old_Timer> wrote in message

<Old_Timer> wrote in message

Closed answer..
Google it.

Joke, or troll...right?

<snip>
Uh-Oh... ;-)
Jeff
I'm sorry to just barge in as a newbie to this group, but I own a 2001 Dakota R/T, and as long as I've owned it, I've never tried to figure out my mileage or tried to tune some performance out of it until, I dropped my K&N air filter into it. Wow! I'm never going back to paper filters ever again! AIRAID offers a similar filter with a longer lifespan for some reason. I still couldn't care less what the mileage is, but now, I'm goin for a throttle body spacer, cat-back exhaust and I'm gonna find how to pimp my 'puter. Picked out the 20's I'd like it to roll on too! Good luck on finding your STATS though. ZOOM! ZOOM!
<Old_Timer> wrote in message

Hansome wrote:

I hope you enjoy your K&N filter. Many here have entered heated debates over the question of reduced engine life and performance gains. It's up to you to decide if the K&N is right for YOU.
Here we go again!
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:11:36 GMT, "Nosey"

yep. game on!
i agree with you though, up to each individual to spend their money the way they want. for me, it wouldn't be k&n, but then i would probably just spend it on something that someone else would think was stupid. kind of the balance of things i guess.

Come on and fess up so we can really know how stupid you are.. <VBG> Myself, I want a 4" model 500 or maybe a Kimber. Now if I really wanted to get serious.. Armalite .50 BMG
Denny

What you WANT, is a Desert Eagle 44, Tiger. NOW ya talkin.:) If you REALLY want an Armalite 50 cheap, I know where there is one....:)
I found a new hobby thats almost as much fun....but its getting expensive too...Im on my first week of bow ownership... Bow was given to me, along with a really nice set of sights. I bought a LimbSaver isobar, a nice Cobra release, some decent arrows, a target, band, wax, etc...and have about $200 in it total...most of it in arrows. Im hooked...and halfway decent for my 3rd day total of practice...Luck let me Robin Hood one today....its going on the wall..:) Altho....now I want a new, wicked, super fast bow...this ones GREAT for hunting....a PSE Team Fitzgerald dual cam.

message wrote:

Now that would probably be the stupidest thing I've ever did...but damn it would be fun.....how much??
Denny
To you mechanics, hobbiest and general do-it-yourselfers out there, I'll admit I've driven the shit out of every vehicle I've ever owned 'cause I don't know anything above and beyond the basics. I probably put at least 5 kids through school for what I've paid out in repairs and maintenance.You shoulda seen what I did to my poor 450 Powerstroke 7.3 turbo diesel; even with 10,000 lbs on the back, I'd make her fly! But you know what is so cool? When one of you offers to do that upgrade or tweak for me and your eyes just light up when I say: "Is cash OK?" I am the fool who is your bread and butter. K&N, well is it the best thing? ... If you want to hand your vehicle down to your kids, probably not. But $35 gave my ride, after 4 years of abuse, a breath of fresh air. In this day and age they really don't build them to last anyway. Disposable almost like BIC's. They want me to now go for a HEMI ; can't they see, this 5.9L ain't dead yet?