PING Tom L, HVAC again

Hey Tom and the group,

Last December, I replaced the HVAC Recirculation Door in my '03 2500. What a royal pain. See the thread at

and you can see I took out the screen to enable me to reach in and take out the door during dissasembling so I didn't have to take out the entire dash and HVAC unit. So, here it is 4 months later and I'm having the same 'low flow' issue again, and of course I suspect the door. I opened the glovebox and pulled it off, reached up and through the back of where the glovebox sat and could reach into the opening I left in the HVAC. Sure enough, the door was sitting on the bottom of the HVAC fan intake, blocking most of the flow.

I finagled around with one hand and one finger of another hand and pulled the door out. It was broken where the door driver's shaft goes in. It appears the driver tried to move the door further than the door could possibly go, and split the plastic driven part of the door.

The door worked when I put it in. The door worked for a few months. There is no adjustment. To quote a bit of the book; "The heater-A/C control module learns the recirculation air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the recirculation door actuator circuits."

Any reason you can think of as to why my door broke a second time? I do not have any '3 key on/off' codes nor any dash codes. Do I now need a DRBIII to check the trouble codes or just drive without the door? Help is appreciated.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

Sorry... I have to plead ignorance on this. It's issues like this that caused me to shell out the extra bucks for the service contract. I had my fill of fun pulling the dash off my two other trucks for HVAC issues (leaking evaporator in one, heater core in the other) - I vowed to never touch another heating/cooling system again (at least behind the dash, anyway)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence