question about airbags

i want to know exactly when will airbags deploy ? i had a wreck this past weekend i hit two road signs going 70mph ran off the road traveled about 175 feet on extremely unlevel hard bumpy ground and finally came to a stop the first impact was on the front end passenger side but more towards the middle . most of the damage was to my cab ( pretty much crushed) what i was wondering was exactly what will set off an air bag . thanx

Reply to
sunflower

Deployment of the supplemental restraints depends upon the angle and severity of an impact. Deployment is not based upon vehicle speed; rather, deployment is based upon the rate of deceleration as measured by the forces of gravity (G force) upon the impact sensors. When an impact is severe enough, the microprocessor in the ACM or the SIACM signals the inflator of the appropriate airbag units to deploy their airbag cushions. The outboard front seat belt tensioners are provided with a deployment signal by the ACM in conjunction with the driver and passenger airbags. During a frontal vehicle impact, the knee blockers work in concert with properly fastened and adjusted seat belts to restrain both the driver and the front seat passenger in the proper position for an airbag deployment. The knee blockers also absorb and distribute the crash energy from the driver and the front seat passenger to the structure of the instrument panel. The seat belt tensioner removes the slack from the outboard front seat belts to provide further assurance that the driver and front seat passenger are properly positioned and restrained for an airbag deployment.

Of course, this is for my vehicle, which I tend to keep away from innocent road signs.

FMB

Reply to
FMB