Rusty Van

Just wondering if dodge van owners have had problems with the roof rusting out? Seems like my daughter's 2002 van had a problem, and mine now is rusting.
Clyde

The roof was the first part to rust on my 1992 van (full size utility van). The paint was flaking off in small chips,too. Rob

The roof was the first part to rust on my 1992 van (full size utility van). The paint was flaking off in small chips,too. Rob
I have the same problem and so did my daughter with her van. I'm not sure if the dealer will honor the warranty, but the way they were talking I have my doubts. How I wish they still made internationals. I had a travelall for years and never had problems like these newer vehicles. In fact I still have a 68 one ton IHC flat bed, and it is just now starting to rust out. Seems like nothing is built like they use to be. Even my 47 Diamond T has not rusted out, it is also a one ton . Clyde

van).

Oh bullshit - paints are much better today than they were years ago. Back in the 60's if you were luckey you got 100K out of a vehicle's drive train. If the drive train did last any longer you had a rusted out pos.
Repainting a vehicle after 10 years is just pm.
beekeep

I have some suggestions on paint --industrial/commercial/farm paint will last forever --marine paint
back in the days with my ex, when we were expecting kiddo and had a tight budget, we bought a 66 4-dr fairlane for $300 that had been sitting outside for 20 yrs. He completely re-wired it with no manual and changed the front seats (mice), we did a little body work and i tracked down some free paint -- light blue marine paint not beyond reconditioning with thinner and a bit of green tint--lasted forever,
rach
p.s. how about a conversion roof that gives you standing room

I still have fond memories of my first $300 car a '64 Catalina, baby blue. Now a days when you buy a beater for your kids they start out at $2,500.00.
beekeep

that was only in 1994 -- the deal was my ex husband bought the car off his ex-ex-father-in-law (prior used car salesman) when the f-i-l arrived back from vacation 3 mo. late and wifey wouldn't talk to him or cook until he at least removed the car from the veg. patch so the price was right -yes i think that made the fairlane an 500-XXX <grn> gotta hand it to him -- he went into a coma for 6 wks and came out unhinged but was a really smart man with gr8 education -- grandpa was a welder and designed and built himself a plane and flew the oilmen all around the med.hat area of alberta back in the early 1900's son takes after them rach rach
Sounds like you are an expert, what type of paint would you select for painting this van. Thanks Clyde
wrote:

sure
have
still
has
in
If the

i am not an expert -- we had no money and i worked for sewers and they distributed used paint once a year on a saturday for $1-3 a gallon -- i helped so mine was free (grabbed all the enamel i was allowed)
i have talked to a few people about painting my van (still original paint -- got it in alberta but has rusted so badly my son calls it the girraffe) so use some chromium primer first once you have got all the rust out that has probably crept down from the roof
on a newer van, if you want it to last, undercoat it, and i myself would use army paint, farm paint, or maintenance machine paint -- price would be the factor for me but you probably have some money, so get what you like -- doesn't matter they are all overkill -- but i would be partial to army paint because if you ever sell it the hunters will love it. AND i would put a couple of rear convex mirrors on it, a conversion roof to suit your needs since you have a rusty one i'd replace it unless you are a hobbit, but if i was going to that trouble i'd get a class 3 hitch, winch, and also move up to 4x4 since i'm impartial to them ;-) -- great backwoods camper even if it has a full time commercial job -- and great for moving sheds and broken down trucks
i have decided to get the "shed" (77 gmc 350 van) out of hibernation for a while -- had to use it again to push the 86 d150 home again -- ontario plates -- yes it was not properly licenced but that has never stopped me yet -- i know it is a gm but i am starting to wonder if the d150 needs a more serious job -- my ex suggested there may be engine parts missing for all we know and i am not going to pay for this -- if it needs that much work i am going in myself come spring and i can't wait that long for transportation
rach
by the way, after i got my music degree i did do airplane paint sanding, masking, prepping for a while (lots of sanding) rach btw, remark about the 40's and 60's trucks you had is hardly fair -- any vehicle built back then is not like today's -- just as technology these days kicks ass, and composite engines are surfacing, they also don't put steel in bodys like they did which is why they didn't rust through and even the paints are different let alone application processes (seen orange peel coats on new showroom cheaper line cars and even the good ones)