Steering problem 06 Chevy Equinox (Be Aware)

I am only posting this to make people aware.

My 06 Chevy Equinox that has less than 5K miles on it had/has a problem with the power steering. For those of you that don't know, it has an electric Power Steering pump. Anyway, my wife drove it to the grocery and when she came out and headed home the power steering didn't work. She described it as driving a car when the engine isn't running. She "muscled" it home and parked it. I went out to check it out. I restarted to pull into my garage and everything worked ok.

The following Monday (yesterday) I took it to the dealer to have them check it out. I know, I know, how can they fix something that isn't broken. I understand that they probably wouldn't find anything since it was working properly, but I wanted a paper-trail in case it happened again. They found nothing wrong as I expected them to. There were no service bulletins either.

I suspect that the pump wasn't working for numerous reasons which could have been electrical, ice (due to the fact it was below freezing at the time), computer problem or any other number of reasons.

So, if anybody else has this problem in the future, I suggest you drive (muscle) it into the dealers and DO NOT shut off the engine until the mechanic drives it. Also take note of the outside temperature.

If anybody has had this problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
ninebal310