T-Bonehead, the math whiz

Page 6 of 9

Well, as the name implies, it transmits power. It doesn't produce power, thats the job of the engine. But the engine cannot transmit the power in the variety of ways its needed, so there is a need for the transmission, despite the fact that it produces nothing.
--
Max

It does more than that.

Correct and I never said that it did.

Again correct but we are not talking about power, we are talking about a specific component of power and that can be produced at the cost of the other component, angular velocity.

Again correct, because it cannot produce enough torque at the required RPM's so the TC and transmission does it for the engine by reducing the higher RPM and producing added torque when needed. See, I knew that we were on the same page.

Now you fell on your face again. It does produce the required torque at the required time.

LOL yeah, ya did. Then ya said it "brings forth", as in a person who "produces" a deck of cards, Jeez.... you lie like a rug.
I'll wait to see if you tell the truth, or at least your version of it, before I start answering again.

Actually, a lever creates torque but don't tell Max. he might freak out and claim that it simply reconfigures it.

Nope. A lever gives a mechanical advantage, but by itself, it doesn't create torque. You need a shaft to which you attach the lever, and a force on the lever to make torque.
How DID you get out of Junior High?
--
Max

Hahahaha, A lever by definition is a shaft or solid length of material attached to some pivot point or fulcrum, moron. http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/lever
A force on the lever causes it to rotate on its pivot point and that maxi is torque. http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/torque/Q.torque.intro.html

A better question is did you?

Um, its a shaft? ok....
(Mech.) A rigid piece which is capable of turning about one point, or axis (the fulcrum), and in which are two or more other points where forces are applied; - used for transmitting and modifying force and motion. Specif., a bar of metal, wood, or other rigid substance, used to exert a pressure, or sustain a weight, at one point of its length, by receiving a force or power at a second, and turning at a third on a fixed point called a fulcrum. It is usually named as the first of the six mechanical powers, and is of three kinds, according as either the fulcrum F, the weight W, or the power P, respectively, is situated between the other two, as in the figures.
Show us the word "shaft" in that definition.
I never said a lever did not have a pivot point. In fact, the lever does have a pivot point, but that pivot point is not the lever, it is the pivot point. Don't confuse the two.

Notice how the drawing depicts the lever as attached to a shaft, sorta like I said it had to be.
Back to school with you.
--
Max

The rigid piece could be a shaft but I see that you are probably referring to the shaft as the fulcrum.

Actually Max, a lever is a simple machine and the pivot point is what makes the rigid object a lever and it simply cannot exist without it.

Hahahahahaha, you just don't understand models. Notice that they call it a pivot point, not a shaft because it could be anything that allows the arm to rotate or pivot. The model is only concerned with the torque being created at the pivot point from a force or group of forces on a single moment arm. If you are using a lever, you would create another moment arm and calculate the torque there as well and then combine the values to get the net result.
Back to school with you.

Yup, and the fulcum is not the lever, its the pivot point. A lever is a lever, and a shaft is a shaft, and the two aren't the other.

While true, the two still cannot be confused as being the other. An apple couldn't be an apple without the tree, but an apple is definitely NOT a tree.

Nope. If the lever pivots, it exerts linear force, if it rotates, it exerts rotational force.
The two aren't the same, no matter how you try to run from the original topic of the thread.
--
Max

But a shaft by itself is simply a solid object and can be either part of a lever.

Boy, you are really getting bad at this. Both the apple and the apple tree are independant objects and the apple can and is very much an apple without the tree. When I buy apples at the store, I don't get a tree with them. What have you been drinking? A lever is a simple machine and while the solid object and the pivot can exist as independant objects, they are not a lever unless you have them both combined together. There is no valid point about confusing anything and the only thing confused here now is you.

W R O N G ! ! ! Hahahahah, you really are funny Max. Please explain exactly how you pivot in a straight line. A lever can never produce a linear force because it NEVER moves in a straight line and the minute it does, it is no longer a lever because it is no longer in contact with its pivot. http://www.hyperdictionary.com/search.aspx?define=pivot

There isn't any two of anything. A lever is a combination of a solid object and a pivot point IOW, a single machine. As for the movement, by definition, pivoting is moving in a circular motion so you cannot have linear motion around a pivot. Now how ma I running from the topic of this thread. Sounds like more of your lame spin to me.

you really do want another ass-kicking, don't you
please, tell us how a simple lever, with no outside influences, can 'create torque'
go ahead, Braniac, impress us

LOL, do you really like being an idiot? Where did I say no outside force was needed. A lever is a simple machine that converts or creates torque at the pivot point when a force is applied to the lever. You do know that a crankshaft is also a lever being acted on by the connecting rods and producing torque from that, right????

right here:
"Actually, a lever creates torque"

Yes it does, when a force is applied to it. Please show me where I said it did it all by itself.

No response here Gary??? I wonder why not.

right up there 'a lever creates torque['

because I don't respond to attempts to side-track the current discussion
when you admit your fuck-up over a 'lever creates torque', then I'll move on to your 'crankshaft' thing and demolish it, too
hint: better start proof-reading before you post, BoneHead

LOL, you are really not very good at semantics arguments but now that you bring it up, unless the fulcrum is centered on the lever, the force of gravity alone will cause it to produce torque. Are you really this desperate? Unless you can show me where I specifically stated that it can produce torque without input of any kind, you are just desperately reaching and making an ass out of yourself.

How is it changing the discussion? Poor attempt at spin there Gary but don't worry, we all know the truth and your level of desperation

No need to since levers do create torque and until you prove otherwise, you are once again full of it.

Bonehead huh, sorry Max, you have no chance of catching up to me now.

That line above says "a lever creates torque".
1) it creates nothing. 2) It changes direction of a force. 3) It cannot create energy, force, or anything else.
--
Max

Yep, but it doesn't say it does it woutout input.

Wrong. If this were true, then an engine could not create anything either since its crankshaft is a lever.

Actually, it creates a torque

You really don't have a clue. Enough said, I'm done.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahha, what in the hell does this even mean. What a load of crap!!!