Throttle Body Spacer?

Does a Throttle Body Spacer really give you up to 20HP gain and 4MPG gain, or is it just a wast of money? I've herd both postive and negative about them.
Thanks

Think about it. A TB spacer would cost about a buck or two to manufacture in mass quantities. Don't you think an OEM would jump on a 20HP gain and 4MPG improvement for a $1 or $2 investment? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
TANSTAAFL!
Mike

Yea, thats what i thought when ever I saw it, but some people do claim its well worth the money, but I just don't see it.
Mike Simmons wrote:

says...

Actually it can improve performance. I've seen spacers make gains on Carbureted engines first hand on engine dynos. Some can improve airflow for atomized fuel as raising it up creates a more gradual turn. Different spacers gave better torque and or horsepower, others made both worse. Just like changing intake manifolds... However you need to keep in mind they say "up to" XX horsepower. That does not mean "your" engine will see those gains if any. Now that "tornado" crap that Shade Tree show guy keeps pushing is pure snake oil. The less you "disturb" and smooth out the airflow the better.
Spacers seem to work well in situations involving carburetors, or TBI injected trucks(GM etc)..But since the injection on the Chrysler LA Magnum is MPFI I don't think it would make much of a difference...Or I could be wrong completely :)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Doh yeah... All I seen was "throttle body" and figured he might be talking about a TBI unit. I didnt see any hint he was talking about a MPFI motor but yeah a spacer wont do a durn thing for one of those. The only way they get away with stuff like that is to say "up to" even when it's zilch.
The purpose of a throttle body spacer is to move the carburator fuel feed points out of reversion turbulence. A carburator is ignorant and it depends on a vacuum signal generated by the venturi effect of ingested air passing across a venturi to draw fuel from the bowl through the main jet. Anything that disturbs a laminar airflow inhibits correct fuel mixing. When a high performance cam is used, the valves are opened earlier and closed later than the factory cam which generates more airflow and hence more engine power, but only when the air volume is large enough and the inertia of the air column is great enough. However, at lower engine speeds, the air in the inlet manifold and the exhaust pipes actually move both in and out. This reversing of airflow creates soot on the carburator from exhaust gasses as well as disturb smooth engine performance at low speeds. Since fuel injection systems do NOT depend on this vacuum signal for fuel delivery, a spacer does nothing. Steve

Chrysler would kill for a 4 mpg improvement
As would I.
Laszlo Almasi