Water based parts wash

What solution do you use for a water based parts washer? I went to NAPA the other day, and they wanted $120 for five gallons of something.
Can I replace with diesel?
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Simple Green
--
Steve W.

I have good success with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Warming the solution helps a lot, an immersion heater can do the trick. Suds are not too much of a problem, but if you want any dishwasher detergent will work well (with hot water, of course) though it can be somewhat harsher on the hands.

I use oderless paint thinner in mine.
beekeep