Parts washer help!

I'm getting my home shop set up, and I bought a Northern Tools #159468

50 gallon parts washer. I also bought 10 gallons of the PSC-1000 petroleum based solvent from Tractor Supply (they had a better price).

I just put the washer together, and as I was about to fill it, I noticed a label on the inside lid saying to use only aqueous based solvents. I found in small print in the manual that it would wear out the pump if you used petro based solvents. However, it has a fusible link on the lid in case of fire... so it was designed for flammable solvents.

The label on the box and description in the Northern catalog make no mention of water based only. Their web site groups the washer into the "solvent" based washers, as apposed to the "aqueous" based washers.

Bottom line... I'm wondering if it's safe to use petro based solvents in this washer? I really don't want to use water based, and I'm betting the warning to use only water is a "cover their ass" sort of thing.

Does anyone here have some experience or advice?

Reply to
Jack Goff

Been using the twenty gallon version for two years now with "real" solvent. No prob's yet. Pump is a little plastic feller, but seems to be holding up just fine. Solvent did do a number on the brush that came with it though. Throw it in the trash and get a real parts brush.

Reply to
Bill W

If there's a label warning you about steering clear of petrol-based solvents, that's what I'd do. Never hurts to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. Doing otherwise is generally at YOUR risk.

Reply to
xmh31d_64