1968 Instrument Cluster problem

The instrument lights on my 68 convert. weren't working when i purchased the car...
I just removed the cluster to change out the bulbs I thought were
burnt out... but they still are good.
In surfing the internet... I found that there should be a ground wire (s) from the cluster to a ground point... that is (are) missing.
Is this true?? from where on the back of the cluster do they attach??
I do have a (very simple) diagram.. that seems to show three points - left, right.. and above the speedometer to the right a bit are three screws that look like they might do the trick.
AM I GOING TO BURN DOWN MY CAR - if i go ahead and wire these screws to a ground???
- strangely enough (or maybe not) - the blinker lights, the brake light and the high beam lights work fine.
Perplexed..
Thank you in advance...
Mike
On 25 Feb 2004 08:38:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dr Tang) wrote:

It's actually a small piece of sheet metal that runs from the back of the guage cluster to one of the screw holes that mounts the cluster to the dash. Unfortunately I didn't see it in my Classic Industries catalogue. You may have to go searching through E-bay or similar places.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Some are wise and some are otherwise
Mike I had the same problem and found that the top center screw that holds the cluster in place was missing. There should be a metal strap that goes from the cluster to the high beam light then to the dash and held by that screw. It also shows a wire in the assembly manual that attaches to the cluster about in the middle down low and the other end to the pedal assembly bracket. I don't have that wire on my but it works fine without. Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dr Tang) wrote in message

Are you saying that only the illumination lamps are not working? Then the most likley cause is the headlamp switch. The reostat in the headlamp switch will get rusty over time and increase the resistance in the illumination lamp circuit.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (David McNally) wrote in message

- - - -Fixed the problem. After several hours of fooling around with a Ohm meter, continuity tester and the like.. it boiled down to this: #1 - no ground for the dial lights section... the other lights ground from the strap the fastens onto the dash at the top middle screw... but the night-time illumination lights needed a seperate ground... so i ran a wire and took acre of that. #2 - that circuit was not getting any power...the wire was bad.. that particular wire is the grey one going into the male plug that goes into the instrument cluster... so i found the correct power wire coming from the switch (green i think..) and jumped it there..
- now I can drive at night and see by how much i am exceeding the speed limit.
1968 firebird convertible 4 speed/ 428 (not original obviously)
Mike