Cat Back Opinions for 89 Formula 305 TBI

I have an 89 Firebird with a 305 TBI exhaust system. I'm looking for a cat back replacement system. I can get a Hooker, FlowMaster or Edelbrock. I want
more exhaust sound, but not so much it would be annoying on trips and such. A fireind of mine has a 95 Corvette with a stock exhaust that has about the right sound,
Does anyone have any experience with these systems? Any opinions?
Bob

want
such.
the
Sounds like you should install a stock corvette exhaust then. <g>
-Bruce

I just put a Flowmaster cat-back system on my '89 350. It has a great idle sound and is not overpowering at highway speed. It also hangs great beneath the rear bumper.
I picked my system up at Summit Racings website (summitracing.com)

I have an '85 Z-28 with TPI. Several years ago I bought a cat-back system from JC Whitney for under $140. It turned out to be a DynoMax system. That was a sale price, but they have the same system now for $249.95 It sounds great, mellow and not annoying on the highway. Not raspy like a Flowmaster setup. Here's the link:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?PID 23 201&makeId00107&productId065&catalogId101&langId=-1&AID57440&mo delId01122&storeId101
I know it's a long one. I'm more than happy with my system. KennyH
Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Whoops. That doesn't work. Just go to jcwhitney.com and narrow the search down with your year, make, model and you'll find it. Good luck!
KennyH
Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:28:36 GMT, "Robert Mayzer"

I like my 3" Flowmaster system on my 88' TPI 305. My exhaust has a 3" cat on it also. Lost a very little low end compared to the Edelbrock system that was on it but gained a little seat of the pants in the mid and upper ranges. Of course it might just be the noise making that feel for me too. A suggestion for when you replace your current system, have the tubes welded as it really cleans things up underneath. If you have ever seen 3" pipe clamps you know how hidious they look holding the pipes together.
...Ron -- 68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rscamero
Some are wise and some are otherwise

cat
want
such.
the
With the TBI engine, dont even bother putting on a cat back, it will kill your low end and all that motor has is low end. I did a cat back and gears (2:73 to 3:23) in my 89 formula w/ a 305 TBI and it was a complete waste of cash. My friend with a bone stock 88 RS camaro 305 tbi beat me. ( I used to beat him stock) The TBI engines are a waste, learn from my mistakes.
I've got an Edelbrock, with a high flow converter on Trans Am. 350 TPI nice sound deep and throaty but not annoying. but it is load enough so its obvoiouse its aftermarket. and when you get on it it lets everyone know you mean business.. And its a quality set up some of the Flowmasters are pretty crappy. Go with Edelbrock. You will be pleased