ping CBHVAC

Kinda OT, but my lurking has shown you to be a quite knowledgeable refrigeration tech. I was just stuck with an AC compressor replacement on a Ford (Tecumseh FS10, R12). Due to financial constraints, I was forced to acquire a salvage-yard unit as a replacement. The replacement (paid $12 for the whole deal, clutch and all!) came from an R134a system; I was unable to locate a unit from an R12 implementation. As I had no desire to retrofit the vehicle (it still had a full charge), I dismantled the replacement compressor, cleaned out the PAG (with brake cleaner, no less...) and reassembled with ester.

As the replacement compressor was necessary due to a pulley bearing seizure that mangled the nose casting (as opposed to an internal failure), there was no metal or other debris introduced into the system. Can I expect this (admittedly hack-job) fix to actually work when I have it evac'd and recharged? The compressor appears on all counts to be identical; I didn't even notice a pressure relief valve on the compressor--I assume this must be located elsewhere in the system (?!) and therefore not a concern with the unit replacement.

I've switched several vehicles to 134a, but always after a compressor failure. I've never tried to switch using an existing compressor back to R12, so any comments are much appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Mark Shollenberger

Reply to
Marky

Company owner actually...but that looks good too..:)

OK....

Probably be fine. I would not have used ester...but mineral oil if you are going back to R12...check the mistable ratings on the oils with different refrigerants, and you know why..but it will PROBABLY be ok...some prefer ester..I dont.

Again, I think you are going to be ok..the only issues I can see would be if the compressor was a true 134 system unit...and its not really an issue..you might have to add a couple of oz extra of r12 if you are going back to it simply due to a lower head from increased capacity of the unit IF its a true

134 unit and not a leftover that was used in a 134 system. As long as your metering device is clean (you did check the TEV or orifice right??) and you have a new dryer assembly n there...go for it. Seen worse that worked fine, oddly enough.
Reply to
CBhvac

The standard items (accumulator, orifice, etc) have been replaced. I believe the compressor was a carry-over and not a dedicated 134a unit. Thank you very much for your input. (And sorry to understate your employment status :) )

Mark

Reply to
Marky