2002 Ford Explorer Question

I have an 02 Explorer that is about 1600 miles out of warranty. I got in it on Thursday on the way out of town and the transmission was slipping, never happened before, just started immediately.. Instead of driving on, I drove about 2 miles to the Ford dealership where I bought it. They analyzed the "OD" light flashing codes and said the codes were reporting Torque Converter slippage and wrong gear ratio in third gear. They kept it over the weekend to do exploratory surgery as they put it and found a bad seal of some sort. The kicker is the seal is 400 for parts and 900 for labor. I think I am getting screwed royally, especially only 1600 miles from warranty. To me this seems like something that could have been an ongoing problem that just reared it's head. Anyone else experienced this or have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Adelayda

well...it has a broken intermediate band and a shift piston that is bad....

Jeff

Reply to
Adelayda

I would be talking to the dealer, and have them contact ford to see if their owner loyalty program will pickup at least 80%, especially if you bought this vehicle new. Had two minor problems with our old '98 before we traded it in last fall. I only had to pay $50 to have both items repaired. They treated it just like I had the extended warranty. As a last resort, offer to buy the extended warranty if they fix it for the warranty deductible of $50, but at only 1600 miles over, Ford should pickup the total repair cost. wth

Reply to
wth

Reply to
Pedro Faberlle