In Dash Premium Stereo not working properly

1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. Came with premium audio package (in-dash CD, 6 CD changer, cassette, AM-FM).

Shortly before 3 year warranty expired, the stereo's LED light (also the clock display) started to dim to total fade while driving. It would be displayed when car was turned on and fade to black within minutes. Never got it into Ford for service so it is no longer warranteed. The interior dim light switch works so it isn't that.

Now the display does not illuminate at all. The stereo works otherwise as it should. I took it to Ford this week and they told me it was $495 diagnostic fee minimum because they send it out to someone else who does the work. Service tech also recommended either a) dealing with it; or b) buying an aftermarket audio system. I declined Ford's service.

Anyone had this symptom or know of a possible solution from a user's point instead of getting a third party involved? Could this be a known problem? Can I get into the console or are there wires that might be loose causing this.

Every so often, it will illuminate for a few seconds - only at startup. It always fades away within seconds or minutes.

Thanks for ideas

Reply to
Craig S

Craig, I also encountered this problem.. I posted my fix here:

Scroll down to my post (posted as RichC), under "Another Radio Display Fix".

Several have also posted that they've had luck using this fix:

Either way, best of luck...

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
John Shoemaker

Craig, I have a 96 XLT and had this exact problem a short while ago. On my 96, in addition to the radio display issue - when the headlights were on, I also lost the use of the indicator lights on the dash (O/D, 4WD & cruise control).

After posting this group, there were a few others in the group that also had the issue. A fellow poster (Chief Wiggum I think) determined that if you tap the dimmer light switch (the rotary know next to the head light switch) - it fixes the problem. I tried tapping the dimmer switch on my vehicle and it worked. Every once in a while the problem returns and each time a sharp tap on the dimmer switch fixes it. At some point, I'll replace the dimmer switch but for now - I'm dealing with it.

Hope this helps - John

Reply to
John B. Parisi

The problem in the '96 model year is a different than the problem of the blank display of the '99 radio. While popping the dimmer control of the '96 model year works for that radio, the '99 radio requires a bit more work. There's some good details at

but there is a charge. I found it all to be very useful for my '99 radio and I now have my radio display back.

After posting this group, there were a few others in the group that also had the issue. A fellow poster (Chief Wiggum I think) determined that if you tap the dimmer light switch (the rotary know next to the head light switch) - it fixes the problem. I tried tapping the dimmer switch on my vehicle and it worked. Every once in a while the problem returns and each time a sharp tap on the dimmer switch fixes it. At some point, I'll replace the dimmer switch but for now - I'm dealing with it.

Hope this helps - John

Reply to
Randy