Loss of coolant

My 1998 Mountaineer 5.0, AWD with 120,000 miles is loosing coolant. I can leave the car in the driveway for 4-5 hours and no leak. However, each morning I can see small puddles on the garage floor. I am unable to locate the leak visually. Also, I have used a pressure tester and it holds 15 PSI for more than 10 minutes. The vehicle does not smoke on start-up, except for chilly mornings. In case climate is a concern, I live in northern Arkansas. Thanks for any and all help. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Only 10 minutes? That's not good. Should hold pressure overnight when using a pressure tester, or at least a few hours. Not minutes.

Suggestion... First wash everything off good. Next using that pressure tester, pump it up, and each time it drops off pump up again. You may have to do it a few times (five or six) then look for coolant, both on the floor and on the engine. Use good lighting, too. Very important.

Reply to
PeterD

Sometimes the crimped on side tanks on the radiator leak when cold but stop leaking when heated up. I have had some success crimping them tighter with vise grips.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Steve wrote in news:d8e7ebf4-47e8-4178-a3ff- snipped-for-privacy@n35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Check the heater control valve. It's leaking on my 2002, and I think your year may use the same valve. If you don't know what to look for, it's inline with the heater hose going to the the fire wall and has a vacuum controlled valve. Mine only leaked above idle. I found the leak by smelling it and noting dried coolant on the valve. Had someone rev the engine while I watched and coolant leaked out. Replaced it and all's well.

Reply to
me

My heater valve leaks only when the heat is set high. It's been that way for a long time but does not leak enough to worry about.

Reply to
Shoe

Thanks to all who responded. It looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'll try to keep everyone updated on my progress. Steve

Reply to
Steve