Power windows motor works window doesn't

1993 Explorer

Two electric windows don't work - passenger front, driver rear.

The motor(s) turns, hear whirring and intermittant chunka - chunka sounds, window doesn't move up or down without assistance.

When the up button is pushed and while the motor turns, the windows can be pushed down - in a jerky motion - not smooth.

Removal of door panel shows the window regulator control arms are connected to the glass channel.

Window motor gears?

Can they be replaced?

I don't want to drill out the two pop rivets until I have a better idea of how to fix this. - Like do I have to replace the window motor/gear assembly?

Reply to
Ted Borck

Sounds like the window regulator.. I once found newly manufactureed ones for a Chrysler at, of all places, a junk yard. They got them from a supplier saving big $$. It was easy to change.

Not sure on the Fords, but probably similar.

Reply to
rakster

it's a little gear in the motor. Actually it's the plastic "bumpers" that dis-integrate and keep the gear from working

you can get a replacement gear, and just pull the motor out, and replace it. They run about $14.00 the last time I had to change one.

the biggest challenge is pulling the door apart, and taking out the motor without cutting your fingers off !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Thanks.

Your suggestion appears to match my Explorer's symptoms.

BTDT - Got the T-shirt - Skipped the Tatoo.

Reply to
Ted Borck

Ted, My '91 had the same problem. It's a fairly simple fix once you get the motors out of the doors. First, take the gear housing apart and clean out all the little broken plastic pieces. Notice how a three or four lobed metal part which is turned by the motor, turns freely inside another part which has matching lobes. Place nylon bushings into the lobe recesses so that the inner lobe now turns the outter lobe by pushing on the nylon bushings. This is designed as a sloppy fit, as a tight fit will cause the electric motor to lock up under loading.

Mike

Reply to
Tiger