Rear Axle Whine in '94 Explorer

Hi there -

For the last year, I have an increasing problem with a whine from the rear of my explorer. It sounds like it is coming from the rear axle. When you accelerate at any speed the whine gets really loud, each month is louder. I have had the fluid changed in the axle. It is an open differential, 3.08 (i think). Lately, when you coast, it now has a "gear sound" - real low pitched noise.

Is it time to have the differential reworked? I have replaced the old Michelin ties with new ones as they wore out and have had no difference.

Any ideas?

Randy

Reply to
Randy Johnson

Does the noise change in pitch or tone when accelerating or coasting? When in between accelerating and coasting, does the sound change? If so, problem is most likely rear differential as you suggest. If noise does not change, problem may only be a rear axel bearing., which is much less expensive. You have already replace the tires so can rule that out. SF

Reply to
sf/gf

That sounds exactly like the sound that I had before I replaced the rear differential in my '97. When you drive, you're pretty much just burning it up. It cost me about $1600 to replace.

Reply to
Katiefitter

After about a hundred thousand miles the bearings in the rear end started whining had to have them replace.

Reply to
GeorgeB280

Hi there -

Bit the bullet and had the rear axle checked out. The pinion bearings were in very bad shape and all of the other bearings had lots of wear. The rear axle must have been run dry or too much slop in factory assembly. All is better now for the sum of $750.00

Thanks for the help,

Randy

Reply to
Randy Johnson

My rear end has started whining too. After 192,000 miles. I'm fed up with Ford's unreliability and crappy workmanship. :>) Off to the shop this week. Hope it doesn't cost $750.

Fifth gear started whining in the manual transmission last year. I guess getting close to 200,000 miles is tough on bearings. No telling how many revolutions those bearings have made. I'd be worn out too.

Reply to
Racin' Fan