Replacing intermittent wiper switch and turn signal

Good Day all,

I have a very touchy intermittent wiper switch on a 1997 Explorer. When in any of the intermittent wipe positions, it will work if I barely move the switch arm forward or back (takes just a bit of movement) to make the wipers operate.

How difficult is it to replace this mechanism? Doesn't seem too tough but after talking with the local Ford rep he stated you can do substantial damage to the air bag system etc. etc. He also wanted several hundred dollars to replace the switch.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Captain Coleman

Thanks -- Looks like taking the steering wheel covers isn't as bad as it appears. Once I get it apart I'll give the cleaning idea a try. Did you disconnect the battery etc. or have any issues with airbag stuff?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

no no You don't have to touch the steering column. There is a way to remove the end of the wiper stalk. There is a cap on the end that you should be able to pop off with a small screwdriver. Underneath the cap is a screw that once you remove will allow you to disassemble the part of the stalk that rotates for wiper function. No need to disconnect battery or anything. I did it while parked on the street (engine off and key removed from ignition of course) in front of my house. It didn't take me very long, maybe 10-15 minutes. Once you figure out how all the pieces go back together, it shouldn't take too long. Again, watch out for those springs when you loosen the screw under the cap.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Thanks Capn' Got it repaired!! Works great now -- Found a pinched/cut wire inside the switch assembly itself. Had to have been there the entire time since it was assembled that way. --Thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Glad you got it fixed. Its been several years since I fixed mine but I remember it being annoying as hell. Another tip I remember from my electronics days is that you can clean contacts with a pencil eraser. I think I had to clean mine twice before it began working properly.

Reply to
Captain Coleman