Stop to engage 4x4?

I replaced the kaput automatic hubs on my 1994 with the manual lockers from Warn. Easy job and about a thousand bucks cheaper than letting the dealer put new autos in. Anyway, my question is whether I should stop when engaging the 4x4 via the dash button or whether I can do it while the car is moving. Obviously, I will have already locked the hubs.

TIA, Dan

Reply to
Dan Gillespie

Engagement speed shouldn't be any different now then when it had the auto hubs. You can push the button at any speed up to 40 is what I think the manual says. You can do it even if you don't have the hubs locked but you won't have 4 wheel drive, just spinning shafts!! With the hubs locked you can probably engage it at any speed actually, since with them locked all the parts are already spinning at engagement speed but I wouldn't do it because you just never know....I'd stick to the 40 mph limit.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher