03 Crown Vic - spontaneous glass breakage

Well, I didn't know what else to call it. Wednesday night, was crusing the interstate in the rented Hertz 03 Crown Vic. Not much traffic around and suddenly .... BOOM! the driver window shatters, sending a gazillion chunks of
glass all over me. I never saw any road debri. Was wondering if glass can just do this all on its own? Police came out, did a quick report finding nothing suspicious. State Farm agent didn't seem to think anything of it. By the way, that Vic was sweet. Nice big car.
Were you driving in the Columbus, OH area?
No. But I'll say that the first thought that crossed my mind was ... bullet.
I had the same thing happen to me in my '86 Lincoln Mark VII a couple of years ago. I thought someone had shot the window out on me at 60 mph. I kept going for a quarter mile or so before stopping to clean off all the broken glass on me. There was some evidence of road debris that had scratched some paint further back on the roof. I suspect heavy but small metallic road debris from oncoming traffic or equivalent. I was driving by a newly opened airport and construction debris was probably still there to have been thrown up. Side glass is not safety glass; it's tempered glass. Tempered glass shatters into thousands of pieces when even a small part of it's skin is broken. I called the Austin , TX PD to report the incident, but they weren't very interested. I purchased a new glass window and installed it myself. I'm still detecting small glass fragments in the carpet under the seats. Stan K.