1994 T-Bird with jumpu gauges

I have a 1994 T-Bird that has jumpy gauges. Every now and then the tack will jump to 2700 RPM and then over 4000 RPM. The motor does not change and no
apparent symptoms in the way it runs. The spedo works fine, but the odometer and trip-odometer does not function at all. Every now and then you will see the volt meter jump.
Has anyone ever encountered these sorts of problems? Any possible solutions? Any recommedations will be greatly appreciated.
Steve
i had 3 93-94 cougars. they are basically the same cars from the same cars from the rear seat forward.
all 3 did this, and a new dash gauge panel fixed the problem each time

There's a little garbage-gear by which speedo drives odo, etc. It obviously fails. Dealer may wanna charge you $350 for new speedo unit. Not necessary.

I had the odo problem a year or 2 ago. Found a dash cluster in a junkyard, started replacing parts. Ebay is another possibility. As I recall, the tach from the V6 won't work right inna V8 and vice versa.
Lemme know if you wanna do the work yourself.