1996 to 1988 Escort transmission swap

I have a 1988 Escort with 1.9L engine and a dead three-speed automatic transmission. Can anyone tell me if a F4EAT automatic transmission from a 1.9L 1996 Escort will attach and work properly on the '88? Thanks!

David
David M. Moore wrote:

No, it won't, on several levels.
Rob

That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure from people who know. Thanks!
David