2000 Windstar tie rods

I'm going to replace the tie rods (inner and outer) on my 2000 Windstar. I get this creaking noise when I turn and break at slow speeds. It even makes a popping sound sometimes. Based on AAF archives I think I've made the correct diagnosis. Actually, after browsing what's written about Windstars maybe I should just unload the thing! :)

Question: is this a difficult job and do I need any special tools? I am not an expert mechanic but I have a huge garage and some nice tools. :)

Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
testy

I've seen the outer tie rod ends on these squeak when they dry out. Outers are relatively easy to replace. The inners can be more difficult.... a special tube wrench will make life much easier but it is still possible to damage the rack if you are inexperienced or unwary. There were two (IIRC) TSBs regarding popping in the front when cornering that had some modifications being performed on the strut/spring assemblies - sorry, I don't recall any warranty extensions being offered for this concern.

I'd recommend getting a manual and reviewing the process before you even take a wheel off. Also, you need to get the toe at least close and then proceed immediately to an alignment shop... incorrect toe can scrub a set of tires off faster than you can say "Ooops!!!".

Reply to
Jim Warman