2007 Shelby GT500 Rated At 500 Horsepower

Original article @ http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?categoryid &p2_articleid$9
2007 FORD SHELBY GT500 OFFICIALY RATED AT 500 HORSEPOWER
Ford Shelby GT500 officially rated at 500 horsepower, 25 horsepower higher than preliminary estimates. The Shelby GT500 will go on sale this summer with more horsepower than any previous factory-built Mustang
(DEARBORN, MI) TheGT500Source.com - The most powerful factory-built Mustang ever just got even more potent. Final certification testing of the Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 shows it will produce 500 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque - 25 more horsepower than preliminary estimates.
"With 500 hp and the Shelby name, this car is an instant legend," said Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation & SVT programs. "This is the most powerful, most capable Mustang ever."
The Ford Shelby GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 is a result of Ford's experience in developing the modular V-8 and V-10 engine series. The engine is force-fed air via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 9 pounds per square inch of boost. It borrows the four-valve cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings, from the Ford GT engine.
The 500 hp rating was obtained using the Society of Automotive Engineer's latest standard and was witnessed by an objective third party. The Shelby GT500's 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 will be built at Ford's Romeo Engine Plant in Romeo, Mich. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.
The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 was auctioned for $600,000, with the proceeds benefiting the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. The 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 goes on sale this summer.
Technical Specifications Type V-8
Bore x stroke 3.552 x 4.165 in. / 90.2 x 105.8 mm
Displacement 330 cu. in. / 5,409 cc
Horsepower 500 hp @ 6,000 rpm (SAE Certified)
Torque 480 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm (SAE Certified)
Compression ratio 8.4:1
Redline 6,250 rpm
Manufacturing location Romeo, Michigan
Configuration Iron Block and Aluminum Heads
Intake manifold Cast-aluminum with Roots-type supercharger and air-to-water intercooler
Exhaust manifold Cast iron
Crankshaft Forged steel
Throttle Body Dual 60 mm, electronic
Valvetrain DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Valve diameter Intake: 37.0 mm; Exhaust: 32.0 mm
Pistons Forged aluminum
Connecting Rods Cracked forged steel I-beams
Ignition Coil-on-plug
Idle Speed in Neutral 750 rpm
Engine control system Spanish Oak PCM
Required fuel Premium
Fuel Injection Electronic returnless sequential
Oil capacity / type 6.5 quarts / Motorcraft 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Coolant capacity 21 quarts
Peak Boost 9 psi
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C stroked to 377 CID @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt
Perfect timing with gas over $3 per gallon. Expected mileage rating for this car is 15/19...if you keep your foot out of it.

On Sat, 6 May 2006 19:56:03 -0400, "Kwazy Wabbit"

It ain't being built for the fuel mizer. It's expected fuel mileage is damn good after having lived with vehicles in the 70's rated at 140 hp getting 4-6 mpg and considered normal. I keep hearing complaints of cars like my CV being fuel hogs. Hell, at 22 mpg in mixed driving, I can't think of any good reason to go back to a 4 cylinder anything. And, if I could afford a toy like the GT500, I would write the check as soon as it hits the showroom. When you spend that kind of money on a car like that, fuel mileage is not and cannot be a consideration any more than if you were buying a Viper, 'Vette Masaratti or any other performance vehicle. It will sell as many as Ford wants and in 25 years, a nice one will be worth at least 3-5 times it's new cost even with low fuel mileage just like a nice '69/'70 Mach I or other vintage muscle car is now. For those who would not buy the car simply because of fuel economy, this is not the car for them anyway. The enjoyment factor will worth every drop of gas it's owner can afford!
Lugnut

Ditto.... adjust fuel price to inflation, then think of a 73 Mach..
you pay..DEAL with it!
FYI: The avg. price per gallon of gasoline in 1974 (post Oil Embargo), adjusting for inflation, was approx. $2.00 ($.40-.50/gallon).
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... <SNIP>. And, if I

alloted for the State of Washington, the dealership was getting 3 which were already spoken for and the Owner already had 1.
--
I. Care
So now we have the GT500 at 500 HP. The Mustang GT at 300. I hope that a horsepower gap like this will leave room for something in the 400 area. Something all aluminun without forced air with a sophisticated valve train. I still hold out hope for the 5.0 Cammer, but I also wish I'd win the lottery. Anyway, Ford lets fill that gap ! Get the first Hurricane out and in the Stang. I'd wait till 2008. Lexus can make a 380 HP 4.6, 400 from a 5.0 should be easy :)