5.4l v-8 coolant temperature sensor questions

The 'Auto Zone' diagnostic trouble code was for the coolant temperature sensor. Although the check engine light has not reappeared, I have notice a slight decrease in mileage, the tailpipe looks light it's running a little
rich and I have a hesitation, rough idle - acts like it's getting ready to stall when I slow for a stop...AFTER the vehicle is warm.
The sending unit is up on top, very accessible but the sensor is down in the valley where I have to remove the air filter and alternator just to reach it.
1) If you know what kind of wrench or socket that makes the bends to remove this...let me know the model number so I can buy one.
2) The new sensor supplied by the dealer will not fit the present connector. Is it uncommon to have to replace the connector?
..thanks - john 200 econoline