75-77 Ignition Module

I have an unusual application, it a kitcar with a Ford 2.3 liter with an automatic transmission. It has a GM alternator with an internal voltage regulator. The ignition module is the older version with three and four wire
plugs. I purchased a new one and it's the updated version of two and four wires, they dropped one wire in the old three wire plug as it was no longer needed. Anyway I can't get the engine to fire with the new one. I've already replaced the pick-up coil and ignition coil which seem to work fine with the old module. My problem with the old module as best as I can figure out is it fails when the engine gets warmed up. I have let the engine warm-up and idle for 30 minutes or so, shut it off, come back in 30 minutes or so and it wont fire unless I let it cool down for a few hours. That's the reason I suspected the module was faulty.
One interesting twist in all this is the center wire in the three wire plug of the old module is supposed to be a ground wire which was dropped in the newer version, however the wire on mine is hot, this really has me baffled. What I'd like to know is can anybody tell me in a schematic sense where all the wires in the new two and three plug module go so I could start sorting through all this?
Much appreciated for any input.

from a motor repair manual for 74-79 74 is a 3 and 4 wire system 75 is a 3 and 4 wire system 76 is a 2 and 4 wiire system dura spark 1 is a 2 and 4 wire system dura spark 2 is a 2 and 4 wire system
I'm assuming you have the dura spark 2 module, because it would be the newer one
red goes to ignition switch run white goes to ignition switch start orange goes to distributor (doesn't say where) purple goes to distributor (doesn't say where) black goes to distributor (doesn't say where) green goes to coil bat terminal of coil goes to white wire directly bat terminal also goes to red wire via a resistor (extra current for starting)
There are no grounded wires in the diagrams for any of the systems.
the 74 diagram follows
red to ignition switch run white to ignition switch start purple to distributor orange to distributor black to distributor black to coil bat terminal with a jumper to white with a jumper via resistor to red green to coil
Hope this helps. If you have any q's, drop me an e-mail. max-income at comcast.net
--
Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

MIS wrote:

How did you specify for your new module (application, etc)? If you buy a new module, it should be as simple as getting one with the same color strain-relief grommet.
Some references:
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id &532
http://www.therangerstation.com/2_8Duraspark.html
http://webpages.marshall.edu/~baksh2/convert.html
although some of these references are to Duraspark II... it gives you an idea of what's available.
With the same color grommet, though, it should be a plug 'n play affair.
Rob

On my 77 Monarch with a 302 the only difference is one is blue and the other is orange- one for Calif. and the other for everywhere else. I got one from a junkyard onetime and all that was needed was to file off a locator fin on the male plug and it hooked right up. The Calif. one was calibrated differently for the emissions.
--
Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

wire
longer
already
the
it
idle
wont
plug
baffled.
all
you say the new module doesnt have a ground wire? Is the module bolted to the fiberglass body of the kit car? Maybe you need to ground the body of the module. Try running a jumper from the body of the module to a good ground like the neg battery cable...Just a thought.