83 T-Bird Won't Start

Hey all...
I've been reading about stalling and starting problems here and a lot of the problems I've seen are quite similar to what I have going on with the
exception of my car coughs and chokes and belches black smoke like crazy. If by some chance the car actually catches and runs it's likely to die at a stoplight and won't start back up for a good 12 hours.
The car turns over and tries to start, but it seems like it's getting WAY too much gas (fuel injected). Replaced the spark plugs, etc. and that didn't help. Any ideas on where to start looking?
Thanks,
Kim
Fuel pressure regulator full closed.

Okay, this morning we replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it helped, but the car still coughs black smoke and won't stay running. What should be looked at next?
Kim

Did you adjust it? 83 is a CFI unit. Have you checked fuel pressure? Why are you replacing parts with out KNOWING what you need and why?

Along with posting to this message board I spent all day yesterday on various sites on the net researching what might be causing the problem and the general consensus was exactly what you said, so I took a chance and spent the money on a new one. And like I said before, it did help, it just didn't fix the problem completely.
The one that came off the car had what looked to be a place to adjust it on the top, but the new one doesn't. We don't have a guage to check the fuel pressure but we can smell the gas when we try to start it. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fuel pressure, but it would seem like it would.

Thanks very much for your help. Evenutally I suppose we'll get it figured out.
Kim

My '85 Cougar 5.0 did this once and had me totally perplexed. Finally bit the bullet and took it to the dealer and was diagnosed as a bad computer. They replaced it and all was well. Good luck.
--
el lobo

mooo wrote:
Seems like maybe the fuel pump connection may be corroded.

Getting a newer one is a better bet. The car is 20 years old.