90 Ford Festiva front rotors

(OK I know it's not a Ford) Bought a scrap car for my son (he can't afford much and I would going to help him get it back on the road). Did the break lines, rear shoes, spring kit, belts, wipers, headlamps blah
blah blah.
Took it to get it inspected and they wouldn't even begin - siad the front rotors were rusty and they knew these cars and that they would have to be replaced because I couldn't clean them up.
The front pads are great - the rotors are pretty thick but they are rusty (had been sitting for ~ 2 years).
It is true they can't be spiffed up? If they can how do I do it (wire brush it?)????

As long as the surface is functional and the measurements are within spec most jurisdictions don't care what they once looked like. This is assuming that there hasn't been such rusting as to destroy the integrity of the rotor.
PS you should put your kid in a safe car at least till they are good at driving. Failing that at least make sure the tires are good.
Thanks all for the info. The "kid" is 28 - drives Army reserve trucks. Tires are less than 3 years old so they're OK. Brakes (front rotors to be specific) are the only worry. Since the new air emission rule came into effect here (New York) places have gotten too choosey - money can't buy an inspection. I've been thinking about just wire brushing and let it go at that (call me cheap but $60 is $60 - hard to come by here).

Brakes are the singular most important system on the car..... If you can't go... you can't go - If you can't stop, you are in a world of worries. Anything that can call the integrity of the rotors into suspicion should be addressed.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:48:13 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Well I won't disagree that brakes are important, I have seen more fatalities as a result of bad tires (even old one's that "look good")
If your tires are sliding it won't matter how good your brakes or steering is. In this situation it appears as if cost is a serious factor, tires first, everything else second.

ignore hime he is an idiot and lives in a place where there seems to be a lot of domestic violence
depend on how bad rust is
after market rotors are cheep
hurc ast
Try driving around the block 4 or 5 time applying the breaks as often as possible, this has worked for me in the passed, let the break pads remove the rust then replace the pads. If I recall the rotors on a Festiva are an integral part of the hub and to replace them you have to actually remove the hub, so it's worth a shot.
For what it's worth
Gene from Georgia

Did that and it started to clean the rotors. Took sand paper to the rotors and they look passable (they are thick but a little pitted) and base metal shows again. Thanks for the suggestion.