'90 Tbird LX bad oil leak

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any advice. I'm fairly certain I know the problem, but wanted to run it by once before I go and buy another car.
I've been driving this Tbird for 6 years and it has really been extremely low maintenence, always been a good car I like to drive. It has never once leaked a drop of oil, might burn a quart about the time it needs changed anyway. Until last night. That's when, after being parked about 5 hours, I came out to find at least a quart, likely more (3-4ft diameter puddle) of oil oozing out from under it. There is a steady drip that seems to be rolling down the back side of the oil pan. I'm fairly certain I'm looking at a blown rear main seal, not the kind of thing I'll be fixing, but I wanted to ask, is that typical that it would cause a leak of that magnatude? or is something a little simpler likely? I have some real difficulty getting under that car to in a position to check thoroughly, due to a recent back surgery and how low it sits, even on ramps... so there's the uncertainty...
Brian - Is it the V6 or the V8?
PoD

V6

I would be looking at the oil pressure sender for a leak first. It also was probly not a quart. Oil on the ground looks like a lot more than it is. KB
--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them
how many miles on it ?
Engine wear will cause blow by, pressurizing the crank case and pushing oil out of all kinds of places

Are you positive it is the main seal & not a ruptured pan gasket. I saw a Chevy S-10 that had a clogged PCV valve & it blew the oil pan gasket due to too high crankcase pressure.
I'm not much familiar with the V6 ...
Any chance something bumped the oil filter so it's squirting oil? Had an oil change lately (did they tighten ...)??
If you or a friend can't get under it to narrow down the possibilities, I'd think in terms of approaching a mechanic with something like "How much for 15 min. on the rack for a look-see?". Make sure there's sufficient oil before driving it (or maybe tow it).
Peetie

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

A rear main oil seal doesn't start leaking suddenly like that.
Either the oil filter is loose or something else is loose, like an oil line or a valve cover.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

I had to replace the gasket on my oil filter housing. (4.6) It didn't leak like what is described here but I suppose if a piece of the gasket blew out.....
F.H. wrote:

<...>
That's certainly possible.
Now that I think about it, the OP said that the oil was dripping out of the car while it is at rest. I wonder if the oil pan itself is damaged. Also, I wonder if it is transmission fluid rather oil that is leaking. Or if oil is leaking because there is a lot of gas or water mixed with the oil.
Another possibility is that the intake is leaking and running back, down the engine.
One thing that the OP should do is check the oil and transmission levels now.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

If I understand the situation, it started abruptly while parked. No trouble prior to that. A main (I would think) would start slow and would not leak while the engine was off. Water or gas in the oil or damage to the oil pan would have alerted the driver before parking (one would think). Also, the 3 to 4 foot dia puddle sounds like about a quart (to me). Don't know how a quart of anything but maybe water could come down from the manifold. Could it be tranny fluid? Only Brian can answer that.
wild card: had this on both older F-150 and Town Car: the oil pans rusted through! Fine testament to how well sealed enginers were, but doesn't say much about the oil pans! (and of course, the Town Car had a Lincoln-specific pan that was mucho dinero).