92 F150 Compressor Clutch?

In trouble shooting for the reason my AC was not working I noticed that the front center portion of the AC compressor shuts off and on every few seconds.
I take it this is not suppose to happen? Is this portion of the compressor referred to as the clutch?
I just want to know what to call the problem prior to calling a mechanic because doubt I can handle this on my own.
Thanks for your help.
I had a Ranger that did this once, it was very low on freon. After charging it everything worked normal.

snipped-for-privacy@triwolf.com (Mike L.) wrote:

Probably called "low refrigerant charge."
Yes, it's the clutch. Cycling is normal - that's how the evaporator is protected from freezing over. Cycling frequency depends on ambient temperature. The most common cause for very frequent cycling (every few seconds) is low refrigerant charge, but there are other possibilites. Have it checked by a professional.