92 Taurus EGR and Bushings questions

My brother the original owner just gave me a 92 Taurus GL with 71,000 miles on it. It seems to be in great shape except for two things. When I accelerate hard and the engine is under a light load or on a warm day I get pinging. I am guessing this is the EGR valve. My question is can the EGR valve be cleaned or does it have to be replaced ? Also if it is replaced are there any other parts that need to be replaced at the same time. I have no idea where the EGR valve is on this car but I would borrow a copy of a shop manual and do the job myself.

My second question deals with the rubber bushings in the suspension. The car squeaks and groans when the wheels turn and the chassis also has squeaks. The mechanic at the service station says to spray all the bushings with WD40. Since WD40 is designed to displace water and not be a lubricant I want to know if there is something else I should use to spray the bushings?

Thanks

Reply to
Double Tap

if you talking about rubber bushings then you use rubber lube.. an ace hardware store should have it in a squirt can like 3 in one oil is in a can.....years ago when service station did repairs and not just sold gas they would grease your car and take the rubber lubricant and spray it on all the rubber under the car.. i bought a small can of it at sears about

20 yrs. ago(pint can) and still have it about 1/2 full... it does not take much to go along way( remember its called Rubber Lubricant)......
Reply to
jim

Double Tap opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

It's probably NOT your EGR, esp if you dont have a Check Engine light. It's most likely a dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Go to TCCOA.com technical articles and follow the directions there EXCEPT dont use a Q-Tip (use a tuner swab or fine brush) and dont use Windex unless you follow it up with rubbing alcohol or electronics cleaner.

Dont use "carb cleaner" on it... in fact dont use carb cleaner on an EFI car, at all.

MOre info on Google, pick newsgroups and search on this group.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
Double Tap