'94 Taurus shaking

I have a 94 taurus sedan that my wife just broke a rear sway bar bolt on (one with the grommets on left side). Would this cause the whole car to vibrate and shake between 55mph and 70mph? I checked the whole front end and all looks ok. She said she wacked a pot-crater (meaning the mother of all pot holes)pulling out of a gas station and it caused the rear of the car to bottom out.

Reply to
hazmat0531

it could be the sway bar, or going through a pot hole like that it could be anything, like the rear support for the wheels, the tire rods, anything, including a tire that has a bad belt in it, either before the pot hole or after if(which can cause the band to break inside the tire).. this would give you vibration at high speeds, even low speeds...

Reply to
jim

could also be as simple as the wheels being unbalanced

Reply to
Matthew Thomas

Your car would shake or vibrate no matter how fast you're going when the tires are unbalanced. I would suggest that you check the sway bars and the wheel weights on all 4 tires. Check for any missing wheel weight. It's unlikely that a wheel weight would fall off while running through potholes, but it can happen. If you can't seem to find the problem, I would also suggest that you take the car to a garage or a dealer for service.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

I had a strut link on the rear come loose once after a strut change. The whole back of the car shook, but this was at lower speed.

Now, i did have a higher speed vibration once. Though it might have been the CV joints. What did it turn out to be? A bubble in the tire. If the tire suffered some trauma, this could be what it is. If you have a spare to swap on each wheel, you might try it. One at a time. And inspect each removed tire carefully.

I had this happen both on my taurus and my truck. So, i would not say its uncommon.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ