95 Taurus, 3.8 GL Sedan,engine oil Pan replacement due to Rust leak: What must be removed first so oil pan drops clear?

I have a 95 Taurus GL Sedan with 3.8L engine with a slight leak in engine oil pan, mainly due to rusting through (from salty northern New England winters).
For an oil pan replacement, can anyone tell me what must be removed first, so oil pan can drop down clear enough to be removed. Also, if exhaust pipe must be removed, is it easier to unbolt both exhaust manifolds from heads then drop down bolted assembly vs. dealing with rusty bolted pipes down below? Any advice is much appreciated......
Looks like the Y pipe, then starter, then rear engine plate. Since your area sounds tough for rust, I can really offer up real good advise on whether to go manifold or pipe connections. I might buy stocks in penetrating oil companies, though... 8^)

Thanks Jim...
What is " 8^ " ? Also, do you have preference for penetrating oil and could you offer any other suggestions for preventing stripping and breaking bolts during Y-pipe removal?

stud (liquid nitrogen is ideal if you can get it, otherwise a wet rag will sometimes suffice) impact the stud a few times (ball peen hammer) then gently try turning it while keeping the manifold ear hot.
When the stud breaks (Murphy's law dictates that at least 1 will) fill the manifold with a wet rag, heat up the 'stud only' & give it a shot of oxygen. If it's done correctly you can blow out the stud leaving the manifold undamaged, then run a tap through it and clean the threads.
OR........Take the Jiffy lube crowd approach. Break off the ear of the manifold that holds the stud & tack weld in a new stud for reassembly (and yes I've seen vehicles that's been done on).
8^) is a poor mans smiley (look at it sideways).
Just keep it soaked in penetrating oil (most brands are nearly equal but pb Blaster is better if you an find it).for as long as you can. Heating up the manifold ear helps a lot too.... apply the flame to the thinnest portion surrounding the stud. If the nuts are badly eaten, you may need to choose a suitable socket and pound it on to what is left.
Some ga has given you some good tips.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:31:28 GMT, "Jim Warman"

hurc ast