96 Taurus LX wagon - ABS light on!

Hi, Out of all posts i haven't found anybody complainig about problem with ABS in Tauruses!! - so I'm impressed anyway. Just couple weeks ago an ABS light went on and stays on all the time. I checked on very hard braking that tha car has NO ABS! My mechanic says it's a ABS computer which costs about $300 CDN alone! I don't have a manual to confim this and I'm asking "the audience" Should I check an electrical connections first? and where? any ideas? thanks Gregory BTW - my wife's 96 Taurus LX Wagon despite 246k kms is going very strong - just regular maintenance, couple repairs, very little rust.... I'm really impressed with this car!

Reply to
Gregory

Sometimes with my 96 Windstar the ABS light will come on if the brake fluid gets low. That happens as the brake pads wear down. It's my reminder to get the brakes done "pretty soon". Topping off the brake fluid makes the light go away for a while (months).

I don't drive in a way that the ABS ever kicks in. Sometimes when it's slippery (icy) I slam on the brakes to see if it works, just for fun. It takes a lot to kick it in. If you did that on dry pavement, nothing might have happened anyway. Or at least that you could feel.

Top off the brake fluid. If that doesn't help, then maybe it really is the computer.

I did have an ABS sensor go bad a while ago where the ABS would kick in pretty much at random. Even then you couldn't feel it, it just made a funny clicking, ratcheting noise.

I got it fixed and it wasn't cheap, but my wife drives it now and then. You want to keep the wife happy, or at least quiet.

Tom

p.s. I am not a mechanic and I'm not trying to second guess your mechanic. Just sharing my personal experience,

Reply to
Tom Duller