98 Ford Explorer heat vent closed

I am technically wanting as you will see. Problem with the heat vent not opening. Lowered the glocve box to check the motor (I guess - little white square thing). Some wire or something going down to the
gate is missing. Put short screw driver down a little hole and the gate opened to let warm air. However it doesn't stay open for any length of time. How to fix it properly or do I have to take it to a dealer & approximate cost?
Thank you

Rath

Got a mechanically inclined friend? No shame in it...and you can give him a starting point
you pay..DEAL with it!

gate
I really wish you could edit these, as on a web forum.. you did a great job for someone who "isnt technical"... just wanted to point that out.
you pay..DEAL with it!