98 Ford Ranger - Only High Fan Works

Hello I am having a problem with my 98 ford ranger, only the high setting of the fan works none of the other settings?
Any idea's what I can check? Last year when I had my fan belt
replaced, power steering, replaced all the fan speeds worked for about a month it was real weird then it stopped working again.
Andre

You most likely need to replace the fan speed resistor block. It installs into the blower housing from inside the engine compartment. Easy to find, easy to replace, and not to expensive ($15 to $20 - or maybe less at NAPA).
See http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/494245-blower-problem.html
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

Coincidence.
Yep, what you said. I believe you hit the nail on the head.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

I had the same thing happen in my '97 Contour. There was a recall on the resister, but that didn't fix it. There is also a TSB on the switch (I presume the one inside the car next to the radio). There may be a similar TSB on your vehicle, either for the resistor or the switch, in which case it would be covered by Ford.
Jeff

message
If your vehicle is out of warranty (and a 98 must be), Ford doesn't implement TSBs for free. Recalls are implemented for free, but not TSBs. It doesn't matter in this case, since there doesn't appear to be a TSB related to 1998 Ranger Blower Motors.
Ed
Jeff wrote:

Funny that is still happening on 2004's. We had 3 at work with the same problem. I guess the one with 3 transmissions, the one with 2 transmission jobs and a motor job, and the other one with 1 transmissino job (going on 2) are coincidences too :P
Picasso wrote:

That's right. The fan speed has nothing to do with the transmission failures you seem to have. Unless Ford is buying their resistor blocks from the same vender who supplies transmissions.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com