98 Mercury Sable

My door ajar dash light stays on for different amount of time after my doors are closed---sometime for a few minutes after! This is troublesome because my dome
lights stays on and my doors won't lock (electronically) until the dash light goes off. Anyone experience this or knows what I might do to fix this? Thanks.