98 Mercury Sable door ajar light

My dash door ajar light stays on for different lengths of time after the doors are closed. Sometime for about 5 mins./sometime less than a minute. This causes the dome light to stay on and the doors can't lock electronically. Any advice to fix? Thanks

Reply to
Davo88

|My dash door ajar light stays on for different lengths of time after the doors are closed. Sometime for about 5 mins./sometime less than a minute. This causes the dome light to stay on and the doors can't lock electronically. Any advice to fix? Thanks

Lubricate the door electrical switches? Yes I would find them, and do that first. easy things -first-. IOW, never overlook the obvious.

What kind of spray? Probably contact cleaner. Available at Radio Shack and such.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Liberally spray some WD40 into the latching mechanism on the end of the door. This will lubricate the sliding mechanism for the switch and fix the problem. You will probably have to do that about every

30,000 miles, more or less depending on dust conditions.

GT

the doors are closed. Sometime for about 5 mins./sometime less than a minute. This causes the dome light to stay on and the doors can't lock electronically. Any advice to fix? Thanks

Reply to
GT

Thanks much---I will try it!

Reply to
Davo88

most of the time the door switch has to be replaced i done a lot of them most of the time its the drivers door goes bad

Reply to
Elmer913

In news:alt.autos.ford, Lawrence Glickman posted on Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:54:34 -0600:

Are those switches hidden or something? I have a '98 Sable and I've never been able to find them. Are they inside the door where you can't see them or something?

Reply to
Damaeus

They are in the edge of the door. They are part of the latch mechanism. They get gummed up with crap and stop working properly. Flushing the latch mechanism with WD-40 or contact cleaner usually frees them up.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

|In news:alt.autos.ford, Lawrence Glickman |posted on Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:54:34 -0600: | |> Lubricate the door electrical switches? Yes I would find them, and do |> that first. easy things -first-. IOW, never overlook the obvious. | |Are those switches hidden or something? I have a '98 Sable and I've |never been able to find them. Are they inside the door where you can't |see them or something?

Right behind that white teflon swing-latch on the door jamb, I believe. Spray some WD40 or something behind and around there.

I had this problem on the passenger side door. Not anymore.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

On 04 Feb 2004 17:13:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.commission (Elmer913) wrotF:

I have the same problem on a 98 Taurus. Is there an easy way to tell which door is causing the problem? One thing I've noticed is that when I try to lock the doors while the ignition is on is that the driver's door unlocks but the other three stay locked. Driver's door the bad one?

Reply to
Mike M.

As mentioned, spray your preferred 'stuff' into the door latch mechanism at the end of the door. Just look at where the door latch meets the door jamb 'hook'. Spray into the hole and upwards. Your favorite 'stuff' could be WD-40, contact cleaner, or the like. Some people have different preferences. As an oil, WD-40 may tend to collect dust and dirt, causing future malfunctions. I've heard many folks talk about the switches failing and require replacement, but it's all heresay. Usually, it's the drivers door switch being the culprit. Just to be sure, clean all your door switches. Can't hurt!

Reply to
Jinxter

[...]

ISP malfunctions today!! Must me Monday!!

Reply to
Jinxter

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 06:25:01 -0600, "Jinxter" wrotF:

Okay, I hosed them all with WD-40, I'll see what happens. They are working at the moment, but that's happened before. I hate intermittent problems!

Reply to
Mike M.