a little off for some groups: 1989 Mazda 626 clacking from top of engine

Page 3 of 3
Michael Pardee wrote:

I agree. Once a lifter becomes noisy, it's time to bite the bullet and replace 'em all.
Regarding "fitting to the cam," well that's another issue nowadays since modern motor oils tend not to support good lubrication of direct contact engine parts (also due to EPA restrictions). So far, diesel rated lubricants still have the additives to prevent wear on direct contact engine components.
Roller lifters available for vintage cars including Honda anyone?
JT
(Who's manual calls for motor oil for the tranny which is also a no-no these days...)
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

really? where's you get that information from?

why diesel lubes? what's the composition difference?

jim beam wrote:

We went through this a few months ago. I'm much too lazy to do it again.
JT
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 09:49:00 -0700, jim beam

Basically in this case diesel lubes still have zinc based EP additives which have been absent in the s rated oils for some time.

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:32:23 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

Hmmm...excuse me if I seem a bit ignorant here. What this car has is Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (HLAs). It is at the end of the rocker and pushes the shims over the valves down to open the valves. (Um, what's the difference between this and a hydraulic lifter...?)
You can replace them without removing the rocker shafts, but I have seen a couple write ups that say they don't go bad for no reason, and the reason is usually that the holes that feed the oil to the HLAs are plugged. So, it is possible to clean the HLAs and the holes feeding them oil.
I guess I'll investigate when I park the Mazda and put the Supra on the road...!